• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Detached two family dwelling

VERMA071

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for some advice on detached two family dwelling. What would be an example of detached two family dwelling?
Thx,

California has detached condominiums. Those are SFD houses with maybe as little as three feet between them.

I'm waiting for someone to clarify this. I have trouble with calling 2 one family dwellings detached two family, same lot or not. Ricks twin seems like a classic two family dwelling, but nothing detached about it.

In upcodes, the term is in the NYC zoning code, but sure sounds like a two flat.

I have a suggestion I should post this rather than link it. That's is a local (albeit big locality) zoning issue explains it, and nothing to do with building code.

22-42 Detached and Semi-Detached Two-Family Residences​

NYC Zoning Resolution > II - Residence District Regulations > 2 Use Regulations > 22-40 Supplementary Use Regulations > 22-42 Detached and Semi-Detached Two-Family Residences
Jump To Full Code Chapter
R3-1 R3A R3X R4-1 R4A
In R3A, R3X or R4A Districts, a detached two-family residence shall be designed so that at least 75 percent of the floor area of one dwelling unit is located directly above or directly below the other, and in R3-1 or R4-1 Districts, each semi-detached two-family residence shall be designed so that at least 75 percent of the floor area of one dwelling unit is located directly above or directly below the other.
The City Planning Commission may, upon application, authorize the waiver of these requirements, provided that:
  1. the development is compatible with the scale and character of the surrounding area; and
  2. in R3A, R3X or R4A Districts, the design does not give the appearance of a semi-detached building; or
  3. in R3-1 or R4-1 Districts, the design does not give the appearance of an attached building; and each dwelling unit has a perimeter wall with windows facing a side yard.

Townhouses can be 2 attached single families (or more)...2 dwelling units in a single building is a detached 2 family....Detached from other "buildings" is the key...But knowing the rules someone wants to comply with would be a help....