• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Detailing a roof eave to roof deck

instantmessenger

I'm not sure if any of you have come across this. I'm trying to detail a roof eave to roof deck transition. The roof is an asphalt shingle and the roof deck is 24" x 48" wood tiles on pedestals over EPDM. I'm not sure of the implications, feel like I need to have a built -up edge here. How would the railing terminate to the roof eave side? Any insight would be appreciated. I'm checking with manufacturers to get their insight but thought I'd check here.

Are there any code implications that would not allow for railings to terminate to a sloped roof? Is there any code that says a sloped asphalt roofs can't terminate at a roof deck. I can think of a code official thinking "but what if a kid or elderly person decides to walk up the roof and goes around the railing an then falls down". This is a retrofit and wouldn't design it this way if it were new... but here we are, so onwards! Thanks all.

I don't know of anything in the code about this. Draw up plans and see if it passes the plan review.
Thanks for looking, I can't think of anything code reason why it wouldn't be allowed. The drawings are with the town at the moment - waiting weeks, months now... I'm trying to anticipate what they might say. There are a few tricky flashing details but it should work fine.

Can't quite visualize but if by one step onto roof you could go around the end of a guard and be exposed to a fall hazard, I'd think you'd want something extending over some of the roof. Largely judgement but I'd take into account pitch of roof and how easy it would be to get around guard. (I am visualizing a guard rail at a right angle to eave with deck on one side and nothing to ground on other side if guard.)