• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Determining Plumbing Fixtures based on Occupancy

VAC

SAWHORSE
I need a little help just so that I know I'm calculating plumbing fixtures correctly.

I know that when calculating egress capacity for example, we base it in the actual use of the space (not the occupancy). ie. small conf. room in a B occupancy is 15 net instead of 150 gross

Here is the scenario:
I am working (designer) on a multi-tenant (1 story) building, 4 out of 5 spaces are B occupancy, one is a gym (that's easy). Toilets are located in each space.

My question is specific to the B classification.
The 4 office spaces (all professional offices) have small conference rooms each, approx. 300 SF which would be considered accessory use.
So my question is, when calculating plumbing fixtures (based on IBC 2018 Table 2902.1) do I calculate the conference rooms as assembly use? or as Business use?

Example of one space:
Space Gross - 1,650 SF.
Conf. Room is 300 sf. The rest is private offices.
So I'm thinking 9 + 20 (15/net) = 29 OL to calculate plumbing.
Did I get that right?

(No need to get into exceptions (if applicable) of whether the conf. rooms are for private use or not ~I'm not trying to cling to that. This is a brand new space.)

I don't do plumbing as often as I do egress, so I just want to make sure I'm using the correct set of numbers for calculating and your expertise would be much appreciated.
~TIA

That's a tough one. There is a code change proposal for the 24 IBC that would help. It is for conference rooms of 750sf² or less to be calculated at 30 net, not 15. I support the change. Some AHJ's allow it anyway by AMMR. Have you talked to them? The proposal is E8-21. Hasn't been voted on yet but I hope it passes.
1659370908553.png

That's a tough one. There is a code change proposal for the 24 IBC that would help. It is for conference rooms of 750sf² or less to be calculated at 30 net, not 15. I support the change. Some AHJ's allow it anyway by AMMR. Have you talked to them? The proposal is E8-21. Hasn't been voted on yet but I hope it passes.
View attachment 9234
Thanks! I wasn't aware of the proposed code change. Maybe it will make more sense.
Anyhow, I should have mentioned that we are applying IBC 2018
Checking with the local AHJ would be my next stop if it wasn't a clear cut answer.
Thanks again! appreciate it.