• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Differences between jurisdictions

Mark K

Platinum Member
The general construction industry is used to the differences between jurisdictions but when you look at the issue in a different context you wonder why does there need to be the variation. Read the article in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/business/energy-environment/20permit.html?hpw

Note the complaints are not about the need for enforcement but are primarily related to service issues. If Jurisdiction A can issue a permit in a couple of days why does jurisdiction B need 4 weeks?

Mark -

Another factor - location. I cannot charge the same fees in rural northern CA as they charge in southern Ca due to different economic climates. I do not agree that similar jurisdictions should have wildly different fees for similar installations of similar products though.

Sue, where the west still lives...........

Mark,

Having been an elected official in a former life, I can reiterate what Bootleg says - politics.

Every politician campaigns on the concept that they know what's best for their constituents. And that politics is all local. Therefore, they know best what needs to be done for the local people - regardless of what any national organization says.

Its a strange mindset and difficult for most politicians to accept - that other people may be smarter about some things than they are.

I realize that getting building departments to do things the same is like hearding cats, they can't agree to comply with the adopted code. While politics makes a good excuse I do not believe it is the major problem. I believe that many building departments could improve service if they got their act together.

The claim that location is a significant reason seems at odds with the article which seemed to be comparing jurisdictions within 50 miles.

It is even likely that if the jurisdictions with poor performance were to do what they can they would have quicker turn around times and happier customers. They likely would end up spending less time in the process.

Some places have multiple departments to sign off on permits and each one is given time to review, site review, architectural review, public works, fire department, parks ect.

others are smaller and employees where multiple hats so decisions and reviews are done faster.

One thing Oregon did to address the different processes was to require every jurisdiction to have common permit application format and the same fee methodology. We can charge different fee amounts but it has to be calculated by the same methodology. Permit applications have to contain the same required information.

http://www.oregonbcd.org/rules/050.pdf

The solar people act like they are the only game in town..."we are special, we are saving the world..."

BS!