• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Different/same Use group question A-3 vs E

rktect 1

Gold Member
I seem to have a space being remodeled with the submittee asking for it to be reviewed as an A-3. The plans make it look something like a "Pump it Up" or Gymboree type place. But going through a lot of their proposals, websites and emails, and finally a booklet the fire marshal dropped off for me, it looks like a day care center which relies on staged activities (learning areas) to teach the membered/monthly payed for children ages 2.5-unknown age. So if children are dropped off for a few hours (1, 2, 3, or up to 8) and supervised by adults (even though in some instances they make it known that adults are welcome to stay and watch), how is that different than these party places such as the ones I listed above or how is it that they are trying to pretend to not be a daycare center?

I feel like someone is trying to snow me. I've explained my findings to the head of B&Z and he agrees we need to have a meeting on this one. The outcome in making it an E will drastically change a lot. Parking, special use, egress, plumbing, etc.

Re: Different/same Use group question A-3 vs E

rktect 1 said:
children ages 2.5-unknown age
Does that mean 2.5 and above, or 2.5 and under?

If 2.5 and under, then I'm in the I-4 camp. If 2.5 and above, then I would say E.

EPrice said:
rktect 1 said:
children ages 2.5-unknown age
Does that mean 2.5 and above, or 2.5 and under?

If 2.5 and under, then I'm in the I-4 camp. If 2.5 and above, then I would say E.

Sorry. Yes 2.5 and older. Probably ages 6-8 max.

And it was confirmed to me a little while ago. This project is now on hold in the village. No review until they redesign accordingly.

AKSHUALLY, if you check the requirements, the A3 may be more restrictive.

Daycare does not necessarily require sprinkler protection while it is possible that A3 could.

Do they both require fire alarm?

Assembly would required panic hardware as would daycare.

What is occupant load? Assembly would probably require 7 square feet (or 15 square feet if tables and chairs like a dining room) while daycare load is based on 35 square feet per occupant.

Maybe A3 is the better choice for protection?

Not E if not "education purposes" for K-12

Origianlly we issued this submitter a demo permit about 3 weeks ago. You know, the kind that lets someone rip things out of a space. Last week, Thursday, we met at the space and found them doing some construction. Small things like new studs, drywall, and oh yeah, trenching in new plumbing lines.

Stop work order issued.

Today, I just had a meeting with the leasee, landlord, architect, fire marshal, building commissioner and myself. As it turns out, they now want to add kids 2.5 years of age and younger so they have informed us they will clasify themselves as I-4. Pretty constructive meeting though. Fixed all the egress issues. Of course they still need to get the special use for the zone they are in.

Then the leasee asks if he can do some cosmetic work before he gets a permit. I was fairly stunned and yet on the verge of laughing at the same time.

Sooooooo, ...what did you do? Did you let them continue with their ' cosmetics ' ? :D