• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Discussion on Water Test on Drainage System

Mule

Platinum Member
P2503.5 DWV systems testing. Rough and finished plumbing

installations shall be tested in accordance with Sections

P2503.5.1 and P2503.5.2.

P2503.5.1 Rough plumbing. DWV systems shall be tested

on completion of the rough piping installation by water or

air with no evidence of leakage. Either test shall be applied

to the drainage system in its entirety or in sections after

rough piping has been installed, as follows:

1. Water test. Each section shall be filled with water to a

point not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the highest

fitting connection in that section, or to the highest

point in the completed system. Water shall be held in

the section under test for a period of 15 minutes. The

system shall prove leak free by visual inspection.

I removed section 2 because it specifies "air test".

The key word "drainage system"

The IRC does not have a definition for drainage system. However the IPC does.

DRAINAGE SYSTEM. Piping within a public or private

premise that conveys sewage, rainwater or other liquid wastes

to a point of disposal. A drainage system does not include the

mains of a public sewer system or a private or public sewage

treatment or disposal plant.

The vent system does not dispose of sewage, rainwater or liquid wastes.

So a water test is required on the drainage system, not the venting system.

With that said, going back to P2503.5.1 Rough plumbing.

.....not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) above the highest

fitting connection in that section.

So if you have three separate branches to the system, each section must have not less than 10' of head pressure above the highest drainage fitting connection. If you read the code as stated that means you would need three stacks with 10' of head pressure!

Also some jurisdictions require a water test through the roof. Based on my opinion this is not required by code.

Our jurisdiction is one that does not require individual branches to be tested with 10' of head pressure. We require one stack on the entire system to be filled with water. Nor do we require a water test through the roof. Why would/do you require a test through the roof?

This is where the discussion begins.

P2503.5.1 Rough plumbing. DWV systems shall be tested....

That's drainage, waste , and vent systems. So firstly, I witness the test of the vents, too. You get a vent test with the 10 ft head - which sometimes can include "through the roof" - pretty easily, too. Plumber can test in sections if needed, I'll show up as often as necessary.

We check for thru the roof at framing. Others may be tested before that point depending on what they are plumbing.

like Mac we're available to see any or all when they call and schedule.

Mule,

I also agree that the ' entire ' DWV system should be tested for leaks, whether that is

"thru the roof" or anywhere else. Remember, we are trying to ensure tightness

& integrity of the ' entire ' system, so that none of those potentially fatal sewer gases

escape in to the dwelling.

FWIW, I actually saw a hairline crack on a length of pvc that was totally un-detectable

by visual inspection. The only way it was discovered was when the line was filled

with water, ...then "Voilla!" Thar she was!

When the water is going somewhere, there is a leak. We show up as necessary, too

P2503.5.1 says that DWV systems shall be tested. The entire system has to be filled with water. The 10 ft. head applies only to the drainage system. The head on the vent system will vary from 10 ft. or more just above the highest drainage fitting down to zero at the top of the vent stack.