• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Distance between Door and Stairs

dvasa

I'm building a 3 story midrise apartment in San Diego, CA. What I'm struggling to find is anything in the CBC or CRC of what is the allowed distance between the door jamb and the first step of the stairs. This is an exterior set of stairs, 32" wide door, 36" wide landing for reference and the doors swing inwards away from the landing.

1684214452815.png

Does the handrail on that side of the stairs extend 12” past the first (or last) tread nose?

1005.7 Encroachment. Encroachments into the required
means of egress width shall be in accordance with the provisions
of this section.
1005.7.1 Doors. Doors, when fully opened, shall not
reduce the required width by more than 7 inches (178
mm). Doors in any position shall not reduce the required
width by more than one-half.

This should be under commercial.
This is 2018 IBC:

1011.6 Stairway landings. There shall be a floor or landing
at the top and bottom of each stairway. The width of landings,
measured perpendicularly to the direction of travel,
shall be not less than the width of stairways served. Every
landing shall have a minimum depth, measured parallel to the
direction of travel, equal to the width of the stairway or 48
inches (1219 mm), whichever is less. Doors opening onto a
landing shall not reduce the landing to less than one-half the
required width. When fully open, the door shall not project
more than 7 inches (178 mm) into a landing. Where wheelchair
spaces are required on the stairway landing in accordance
with Section 1009.6.3, the wheelchair space shall not
be located in the required width of the landing and doors shall
not swing over the wheelchair spaces.
Exception: Where stairways connect stepped aisles to
cross aisles or concourses, stairway landings are not
required at the transition between stairways and stepped
aisles constructed in accordance with Section 1029.

Does the handrail on that side of the stairs extend 12” past the first (or last) tread nose?
That's a great question/point! I'm still not seeing anything that explicitly states that I need to have a distance between the door and the nose of the first tread but....they all require handrails which makes the point moot. Looks like (at least for a multifamily building), I'll need to add 12" + the tread depth on the bottom landing and 12" on the top landing.

1684255028417.png

A 32" door isn't adequate. The code requires a 32" clear width (distance from face of door to door stop with door opened). You need a 36" door (or 34" door with special hinges) to get this clear width.

As noted you will need a 36" wide door to allow 32" clear. You need proper handrail extensions as well as strike side door maneuvering clearances of 18" min on the pull side.