• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do all doors in a building on door holders have to relase at the same time?

cda

Sawhorse 123
Do all doors in a building on door holders have to relase at the same time?

Code section???

If you have a thirty story building, and the fire alarm activates does the code require every door in that building on a door holder to release???

“””””Do you mean, is it a problem for a stair door to have a magnetic holder? It is acceptable by code, but the holders have to be wired so that if one door closes because of smoke detection, all of the doors in the stairwell close too.”””

Not sure if that requirement is in black and white

http://idighardware.com/2014/08/gasketing-on-stair-doors/

if I had a multi floor building with selective evacuation, i.e. not all floors sound the alarm I would surmise that I would not need to close the fire doors on those floors that are not part of the alarm sounding. If the building has a stair town I thin all the doors should close and all the latches release as required

TheCommish said:
if I had a multi floor building with selective evacuation, i.e. not all floors sound the alarm I would surmise that I would not need to close the fire doors on those floors that are not part of the alarm sounding. If the building has a stair town I thin all the doors should close and all the latches release as required
Code section saying all stairwell doors are requied to release?

cda said:
Code section saying all stairwell doors are requied to release?
I don't see anything in IBC that would require it, but it IS required for any jurisdictions that adopt NFPA codes - NFPA 101 (2012 ed.), Section 7.2.1.8.2(5) states "The release by means of smoke detection of one door leaf in a stair enclosure results in closing all door leaves serving that stair".