• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do Exterior fixed stairs to attic create habitable space per IRC 2018?

TallBuilder

I am putting attic access on the exterior of the wall in the gable. I want to put stairs on the outside of the building for the attic access so that interior space is not being taken up. This is not a dwelling unit and the attic space meets the definition of habitable space. I cannot have habitable space in this building. I am not doing any flooring just ceiling joists.

So does anyone know if adding these stairs is another way of classifying it as habitable space? I would like to avoid that if possible.

Codes for reference

IRC
R502.3.1
R311.7

I am putting attic access on the exterior of the wall in the gable. I want to put stairs on the outside of the building for the attic access so that interior space is not being taken up. This is not a dwelling unit and the attic space meets the definition of habitable space. I cannot have habitable space in this building. I am not doing any flooring just ceiling joists.

So does anyone know if adding these stairs is another way of classifying it as habitable space? I would like to avoid that if possible.

Codes for reference

IRC
R502.3.1
R311.7

How does an attic meet the definition of a habitable space?

[RB] HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

IRC R311.7 addresses stairways, but it doesn't say anything about what constitutes a habitable space. IRC 502.3.1 establishes framing requirements for floors but, again, doesn't in any way determine whether an attic is or isn't a habitable space.

Having a dedicated exterior stair and/or door to your attic does not create habitable space or even occupiable space.
Making something easier to get into and out of may be a clue that someone intends to visit a space more frequently, but it it neither makes the space legally habitable/occupiable, nor can be construed as proof that the user intends to inhabit or occupy the attic.