• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do Flame Spread Requirements apply to Cabinets or Counters?

MKALLAY

In a scenario as follows:
- Mixed use assembly and business (college building)
- Type 1B Construction

A designer proposes wood cabinets (service counters, display cabinets, credenzas, etc.) in a number of spaces - waiting areas, lobby spaces, break rooms, etc. Is the cabinetry subject to the flame spread requirements as per IBC Section 803.11 and Table 803.11? I read that "Interior wall and ceiling finish shall have a flame spread index not greater than that specified in Table 803.11 for the group and location designated", but the definition of "interior wall and ceiling finish" is a little ambiguous:

"The exposed interior surfaces of buildings, including but not limited to: fixed or movable walls and partitions; toilet room privacy partitions; columns; ceilings; and interior wainscoting, paneling or other finish applied structurally or for decoration, acoustical correction, surface insulation, structural fire resistance or similar purposes, but not including trim."

The "exposed interior surfaces" is what is throwing me - it seems pretty all-inclusive, but would it apply to fixed, but free-standing cabinets? Or cabinets places against or attached to walls?

Any thoughts or consideration on this would be much appreciated!

This has been asked before, and the responses could not be definitive, so I expect you to get the same types of reactions.

Neither the IBC nor IFC address built-in casework regarding combustibility. I have been doing architecture for the past 38 years, code reviews for 25 years, and writing construction specifications for about the same length of time. To the best of my recollection, I have never been asked to change casework materials to comply with the interior finish requirements of the building code.

The IBC does not regulate moveable furnishings (except curtains and draperies), and the IFC only adds upholstered furnishings to this list of regulated items. In my opinion, the quantity of furnishings within a building is regulated through occupancy classification based on the fire load typically contained within a space of a particular occupancy group. I also believe that built-in casework would equally be considered in the fire load determination associated with each occupancy group. This is probably why I have never received a comment during a plan review regarding casework.

Until the code specifically calls out casework, the area will remain gray and subject to Chapter 8 interpretation by building officials.

RLGA, thanks! Yes, your conclusion seems about the same as my own. Since the millwork in the project we are considering is of limited extents, I will advise that the designer discuss this with the local AHJ.

To round out the context for this - the designer had specified a flame retardant AND NAUF (no added urea formaldehyde) substrate for the veneer, but apparently providing this combination has resulted in discoloration issues with natural veneers, so the contractor is asking if the flame spread requirement can be eliminated in some cases.

It is interesting how sustainability interests and other performance issues can collide!

An ICC Interpretation was issued in 2014 that reads: "The code does not specifically address cabinetry. Built-in counters / cabinets used in reception areas to separate the waiting area from the remainder of the space and cabinets attached to the wall, are considered “furnishings” and not building elements. “Furnishings” are not regulated by the code."