• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do I need Smoke Curtains for an Elevator?

goodwork

We are constructing an R-2 condominium building, and trying to determine if the elevators need smoke curtains.
Here's the situation:
  • The elevator connects ( 1 garage level + 3 stories of R-2 + 1 level of rooftop access )
  • 4 stories of Type V-A construction and R-2 occupancy (condominiums)
  • 1 level of Type I-A concrete podium
  • NFPA 13 sprinkler system
  • Code based on IBC 2015
What section(s) of the code dictate smoke curtains for elevators?

Your expertise and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

You indicate one story of Type IA and four stories of Type VA, but just above that, you state one garage level and three stories of Group R-2 occupancies. So, which is it: 1+4 or 1+3?

What is the height of the occupiable roof above the lowest level of fire department access?

Are there any below-grade parking levels with the same elevator access? What is the height between the floor of the lowest level and the floor of the occupiable roof?

At first glance, I would say no hoistway opening protection is required per IBC Section 3006.2.

Hi Ron,
The levels served by the elevator are 1 + 4. Please excuse my crude sketch, which I believe answers your other questions:

IMG_A223BE9A1AD6-1.jpeg
Thanks for your input.

You indicate one story of Type IA and four stories of Type VA, but just above that, you state one garage level and three stories of Group R-2 occupancies. So, which is it: 1+4 or 1+3?

What is the height of the occupiable roof above the lowest level of fire department access?

Are there any below-grade parking levels with the same elevator access? What is the height between the floor of the lowest level and the floor of the occupiable roof?

At first glance, I would say no hoistway opening protection is required per IBC Section 3006.2.
Your building does not appear to meet any of the five conditions listed in IBC Section 3006.2; however, Section 3006.2.1 requires hoistway protection where corridors are required to be rated per IBC Section 1020.2. IBC Section 3006.3 provides several options for compliance:
  1. Provide an enclosed elevator lobby with fire partitions.
  2. Provide an enclosed elevator lobby with smoke partitions if sprinklered per NFPA 13 or 13R.
  3. Provide additional doors at each hoistway door opening.
  4. Pressurize the hoistway.
The curtain is not required if you use options 1, 2, or 4.

Your building does not appear to meet any of the five conditions listed in IBC Section 3006.2; however, Section 3006.2.1 requires hoistway protection where corridors are required to be rated per IBC Section 1020.2. IBC Section 3006.3 provides several options for compliance:
  1. Provide an enclosed elevator lobby with fire partitions.
  2. Provide an enclosed elevator lobby with smoke partitions if sprinklered per NFPA 13 or 13R.
  3. Provide additional doors at each hoistway door opening.
  4. Pressurize the hoistway.
The curtain is not required if you use options 1, 2, or 4.
This seems like a simple follow up question, but I can't seem to find this in the IBC: can I have a stair with direct access into an elevator lobby?

This seems like a simple follow up question, but I can't seem to find this in the IBC: can I have a stair with direct access into an elevator lobby?
Is the elevator lobby required to be enclosed per IBC Section 3006?
Are the stairs enclosed per IBC Section 1023.2 or Section 1019.3 as applicable?

If you answered "yes" to both questions, the stairs can directly access an elevator lobby.
If you answered "no" to the first question, enclosed or unenclosed stairs can directly access an elevator lobby.

However, an elevator cannot open into an enclosed stairway.