• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do I need sprinklers in this case? (VCC 2018)

spabilove

Hello, I really need your help as I’m having a hard time understanding the sprinkler requirements for construction type '5B'. This is about 7000 sq ft, and the previous use was A2, with no changes in the use group.

The building is not equipped with sprinklers, and the exterior wall is a 1-hour rated wall. I received a comment asking me to 'show how the fire sprinklers are not required per VCC (Virginia Construction Code) 2018, section 903.2.' I would really appreciate it if an expert could explain to me how to respond to this comment

I’ve attached screenshots of the building information. For your reference, we are not changing in use group and no change with the structure or exterior

Attachments

• IMG_8308.jpeg
    IMG_8308.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 9
Why VCC 2018? The code in effect is 2021.

Is this an existing building? If so, why are you asking about section 903.2? If it were new construction and Use Group A-2, then sprinklers would be required. Type of construction doesn't matter, but one of the triggering conditions in section 903.2.1.2 is a fire area greater than 5,000 square feet. But if it's an existing building with no change of occupancy, you should be starting in the Virginia-amended IEBC (2021).

Section 306.1.2 of the IEBC sends you to section 907 of the IBC portion of the VCC. where the building is not protected throughout by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 of the VCC. And section 907 just requires a fire alarm system, not s sprinkler system.

Please provide a more complete explanation of the project parameters.

Virginia just adopted the 2021 code a couple months ago, and buildings that were under design at that time may still use the 2018 code as long as they apply for a building permit within one year.

When was the building constructed?

If it wasn't originally a restaurant, when was it changed to a restaurant?

What method are you using to meet the Va. Existing Building Code - Repair? Alteration - if so, what level? Other?

Virginia just adopted the 2021 code a couple months ago, and buildings that were under design at that time may still use the 2018 code as long as they apply for a building permit within one year.

When was the building constructed?

If it wasn't originally a restaurant, when was it changed to a restaurant?

What method are you using to meet the Va. Existing Building Code - Repair? Alteration - if so, what level? Other?
I really appreciate your assistance in clarifying my comment. Originally, the building was designed for a restaurant, and while I'm uncertain of its construction date, the previous tenant adhered to the 2012 VCC, Level 2 renovation standards without encountering any issues regarding sprinkler requirements.

Presently, I am undertaking a "New Tenant Fit Out" with Level 2 alterations, following the 2018 VCC code. My comment requests clarification on how the fire sprinklers may not be required per VCC (Virginia Construction Code) 2018, section 903.2.

I deeply value your expertise and would greatly appreciate a thorough understanding of this matter. It is essential for us to avoid unnecessary sprinkler installations due to budget constraints, especially since we are only conducting a "New Tenant Fit Out with Level 2 Alterations" without changing the designated use group.

Thank you for your assistance.

Why VCC 2018? The code in effect is 2021.

Is this an existing building? If so, why are you asking about section 903.2? If it were new construction and Use Group A-2, then sprinklers would be required. Type of construction doesn't matter, but one of the triggering conditions in section 903.2.1.2 is a fire area greater than 5,000 square feet. But if it's an existing building with no change of occupancy, you should be starting in the Virginia-amended IEBC (2021).

Section 306.1.2 of the IEBC sends you to section 907 of the IBC portion of the VCC. where the building is not protected throughout by an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 of the VCC. And section 907 just requires a fire alarm system, not s sprinkler system.

Please provide a more complete explanation of the project parameters.

To provide further context, yes, this is an existing building where we're undertaking a "New Tenant Fit Out" with Level 2 alterations. My inquiry regarding section 903.2 was misguided, as it pertains to new construction rather than our situation of retrofitting within an existing structure. I am confused because the previous tenant followed to the 2012 VCC, Level 2 renovation standards without encountering any issues regarding sprinkler requirements.

Thank you once again for your assistance.