• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do the buttons change the game?

orinalford90

Hey guys! Fairly new here and had a question about restroom locks. I have been asked to put an operator on a single bathroom door in a senior care facility , inside pull side, condor senior swing.
The door currently has an interconnected locked, the handle unlocks the deadbolt and latch with the same motion. We will be adding 4 ADA push plates, 2 inside 2 outside.
Because we have added the push plate parameters to this, does this mean that when you push the button the deadbolt MUST retract automatically? I am concerned about this because it seems to add a step to open the door for severely disabled persons, (Maybe even confusion) is this a step to open the door?

I was starting to think this was acceptable but I have exercised my brain so much I am not sure what to do. You would have to manually lock and unlock every time. Do the buttons change the game?

There is no maneuvering issues currently existing. Just a hard to open door
The door is Fire Rated.
The door is an inswing.
This is a senior care facility.
Fire alarm panel will be tied in.
En electric strike with be installed.
There is nurse call at the toilet, must my door drop out when help is needed. (Is it an option, and not a requirement?) - There would be a key cylinder outside.

Why 4 buttons? If they are at the correct height, wouldn’t you just need one on each side of the door?

As for retracting the deadbolt … if the door is locked and somebody pushes the button … won’t open if it’s locked. That should answer your question.

Why 4 buttons? If they are at the correct height, wouldn’t you just need one on each side of the door?

As for retracting the deadbolt … if the door is locked and somebody pushes the button … won’t open if it’s lock

As for retracting the deadbolt … if the door is locked and somebody pushes the button … won’t open if it’s locked. That should answer your question.

ed. That should answer your question.
The San Francisco Building Department allows powered door actuators to be used in lieu of level landings at doors. When power door actuators are provided, there must be 2 sets – inside and outside the door. There must also be 2 buttons at each location. The lower button to be centered 7″-8″ above the floor and the upper button centered between 30″-44″ above the floor.
SF Admin. Bulletin AB-012 CBC 1133B.2.5 Exception 2.c
---------------------------
In California we're require to have 2 on each side.
Im trying to find a code I can quote for a customer as they are requiring I highlight the code that influences this jobs parameters.
The lock still functions with one motion, just not when you push the button. Any legal sources I can quote on this maybe?

I have no idea. Don’t think i have ever seen a door operator button 8” aff. What’s the logic on that?

Kick with your foot.
I remember back in the day when everybody worked in the office, and the guys carried briefcases. All too often somebody would swing a briefcase to flip a light switch and damage it. One dodo tried to hit the elevator call button, cracked the marble surround.

It seems like 2 questions have arisen here. Why are there 2 push buttons on each side of the door is an easy one to answer...California requires either high and low actuators or a vertical bar actuator. There is more about that here: https://idighardware.com/2013/08/decoded-actuators-for-low-energy-operators/.

The original question was about releasing the latch...the deadbolt complicates things. I would typically recommend a restroom kit (https://idighardware.com/2018/02/restroom-kit/), but you would need to change the lockset, and the modifications to the fire door and frame would require permission to perform as a field modification.

It seems like 2 questions have arisen here. Why are there 2 push buttons on each side of the door is an easy one to answer...California requires either high and low actuators or a vertical bar actuator. There is more about that here: https://idighardware.com/2013/08/decoded-actuators-for-low-energy-operators/.

The original question was about releasing the latch...the deadbolt complicates things. I would typically recommend a restroom kit (https://idighardware.com/2018/02/restroom-kit/), but you would need to change the lockset, and the modifications to the fire door and frame would require permission to perform as a field modification.
Good morning, Lori and thank you for the reply, and thank you for the clarification on my button fetish. By permission, do you mean that AHJ would have to be contacted in order to perform the modifications to this fire rated assembly? Thank you very much for your input! It is very much appreciated. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!

This brings up another question, is blocking off the deadbolt acceptable in this application. Seems iffy as it is like a patch, on a fire rated door.

Good morning, Lori and thank you for the reply, and thank you for the clarification on my button fetish. By permission, do you mean that AHJ would have to be contacted in order to perform the modifications to this fire rated assembly? Thank you very much for your input! It is very much appreciated. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!
Any modifications to a fire door must be approved by the manufacturer to keep the listing

Most AHJ's are going to want a copy as well as a good building maintenance team for their records.

Thanks Lori!! Knew you would have an answer.