• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do you allow a supplement to the code?

SCBO1

Platinum Member
I have been asked to allow a supplement to an adopted I-code. As an AHJ do you have the authority to do so and what is your procedure?

pc1

Make sure you check with legal to make sure it has been properly adopted by the jurisdiction or it may be challenged. In my area, I have to submit all changes to the state adopted code to the state level for approval before I can adopt it locally to make sure there are no conflicts. Otherwise, you can probably do it if you have "home rule" for your jurisdiction.

Here in Florida, only Chapter 1 - Administration can be modified by each local jurisdiction. ALL other modifications must be submitted to the Florida Building Commission for review & approval. In short, the jurisidiction must show through significant substantiation that a condition or circumstance is special to that jurisdiction, thus the code modification is needed. Otherwise, the jurisdiction must submit a code modifcation proposal to the Commission during the normal code change cycle.

cda,

There is a 2007 supplement to the 2006 IMC that contains changes to the 2007/2008 code development cycle that was APPROVED by the membership of the ICC.

pc1

looks like use alternative methods

have not read a supplement, wonder how the scope and applicability reads

I believe that in the past ICC adopted changes to the IBC midway between the formal code cycle. I believe that this is the supplement being referred to. ICC has stoped this practice due to the cost.

The bottom line is that the building official does not have the authority to modify the code. Any modifications to the code such as a supplement must go through the local/state formal code adoption process.

In the ICC publication "Legal Aspects of Code Administration" they make the point that there is a fine line between allowing an alternate means of compliance and modifying the code. It is not propoer to use 104.11 to effectively modify the code. In addition using 104.11 is at the discression of the applicant. Thus you could not force the applicant to do something not required by the code based on 104.11 if the applicant complied with the provisions in the code.

I would look and see if the supplement actually made it into the code. Sometimes they didn't. ICC no longer issues supplements due to the new code development rules. If it was a supplement to the 2006 code it would have been in the 2009 code if it made it.

Greetings,

We do variances to the adopted codes and ordinances here. Goes through committee 1st then through city council if it's shot down and the applicant wants to appeal. The process is detailed in our city ordinance. I might add that seems to be common practice in south Tx in the several jurisdictions I've worked for. It is typically done more for land use restrictions as opposed actual bldg code however. I think 104.11 speaks for itself in that the intent of the code is to be maintained.

Byron

We would allow it with no problem if it was more restrictive. The adopted codes are only a minimum. We would be unable to use it with out legislation if it were less restrictive.

Pcinspector1 said:
cda,There is a 2007 supplement to the 2006 IMC that contains changes to the 2007/2008 code development cycle that was APPROVED by the membership of the ICC.

pc1
What section are you specifically looking at and what is being proposed?

mtlogcabin,

Mainly ventilation, see table 403.3. These changes may now be in the 2009 code.

pc1

NO - The Code Ammendment Process is the only way to get there in RI and many states.

The Commission reviews and recommends.

Publish to Public Comment period

Public Hearing

Public Vote-

Consensus and Approval of Joint Legislative Oversight Committee.

even addenda that tends to modify rather can correct typography is Muy Dificult.

so keep your supplements in your pocket.