• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do You Like Trains? Keeping on Track with Thread Drift

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Once, during a serious conversation about car repairs, the person I was talking to suddenly asked, “Do you like trains?” It was an unexpected and humorous detour from our topic. I'll never forget that moment because it was so unexpected to the direction of our conversation. That was more than three decades ago. This story, funny as it is, reflects a pattern I've noticed on our forum.

We often begin a thread on a specific aspect of building codes, but the discussion sometimes veers off into entirely different areas. While these tangents are a testament to our diverse interests and knowledge, they can also lead us away from the original question or topic.

Here’s a thought: instead of changing the subject within a thread, why not start a new topic? This approach has a double advantage. First, it keeps the original thread focused and valuable for those seeking specific information. Second, it creates an opportunity to explore a new subject in depth, enriching our forum with a wider range of discussions.

By starting new threads for different topics, we not only maintain the relevance and clarity of existing discussions but also add to the richness of our forum. It’s a win-win – we get to dive into various subjects without diluting the original thread's purpose.

I deeply appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience shared here and hope we can continue to grow our forum as a structured, informative resource. Your understanding and cooperation in this will make a significant difference.

Thank you for being such an integral part of this community, and let’s keep building this amazing resource together!

Jar, I don't know that I fully agree.

Thread drift is inevitable. For whoever makes the post instigating the drift, it is likely that they saw some connection. May be a common term (i.e. 3rd party) or some other overlap. But I can say, rarely, are we discussing car repairs and suddenly jump over to trains. Maybe we are discussing transportation, which trains play a role in.

Thread drift, being inevitable, allows for additional discussion and brings about conversations that may otherwise not happen. Dissuading these expanded discussions does not seem to be beneficial to the robustness of this forum.

Just my opinion though.

Jar, I don't know that I fully agree.

Thread drift is inevitable. For whoever makes the post instigating the drift, it is likely that they saw some connection. May be a common term (i.e. 3rd party) or some other overlap. But I can say, rarely, are we discussing car repairs and suddenly jump over to trains. Maybe we are discussing transportation, which trains play a role in.

Thread drift, being inevitable, allows for additional discussion and brings about conversations that may otherwise not happen. Dissuading these expanded discussions does not seem to be beneficial to the robustness of this forum.

Just my opinion though.
Overlap is normal, thread drift is normal and helps round out the subject.. Completely changing the subject to something that does not relate to the thread title is detrimental.

Overlap is normal, thread drift is normal and helps round out the subject.. Completely changing the subject to something that does not relate to the thread title is detrimental.
Where was the subject changed to something that does not relate?

By starting new threads for different topics
Not going to happen... well rarely I suppose but hardly likely. Being a repeat offender I can step back and view my input as adding some color to a black and white world. I have added a story here and a tale there that takes some of the energy out of the thread. That's a bad habit that I vow to curtail. From now on if I can't incorporate at least three words from the thread title.. it's off limits.
You'll find me at the Average Day thread where drift is impossible.

When I was a kid we hopped trains...oops there I go again... but hooray I caught myself.

Not going to happen... well rarely I suppose but hardly likely. Being a repeat offender I can step back and view my input as adding some color to a black and white world. I have added a story here and a tale there that takes some of the energy out of the thread. That's a bad habit that I vow to curtail. From now on if I cant incorporate at least three words from the thread title.. it's off limits.
You'll find me at the Average Day thread where drift is impossible.

When I was a kid we hopped trains...oops there I go again... but hooray I caught myself.
ICE, I hope you continue and that your vow is broken. I enjoy hearing the commentary and perspectives you have. I see value. Hopefully others do as well.

ICE, I hope you continue and that your vow is broken. I enjoy hearing the commentary and perspectives you have. I see value. Hopefully others do as well.
Oh I don't know... should we have a poll?

Just kidding Jeff. I'm done treating your forum like a playground for an idle lunkhead.

I respect what Jeff is trying to do and what he has done....The problem is that there are so many "yeah....but..." situations in what we do and not a lot of short answers in what we do that we all want to make sure most of the remotely relevant issues are brought up....That and some of us like to have fun once in a wHile...

That and some of us like to have fun once in a wHile...
That was me. Understanding the investment in time and money that is this forum is sobering. The direction that Jeff wants to take it must be respected. Jeff has asked for a greater attention to detail and less thread drift. I can give him that… and when I don’t he deletes my content anyway. So let’s do what he’s asking and then we can quit hearing him whine about it.