• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do you regulate public sidewalk construction?

Darren Emery

In our jurisdiciton, the building department has been tasked with inspecting and controlling all public sidewalk construction and accessibility issues. Wondering if other building departments handle this, or if it is a public works issue?

Re: Do you regulate public sidewalk construction?

Ours is the responsibility of the Public Works/ Engineering departments.

mj

The Public Works Department regulates this.

Luckily it's Public Works here. The scope of 1104 for accessible routes appears to be within the building site.

The "regulation" is actually by the Federal DOJ and at public walkways, the detectable warnings are now required.

At interior of property lines of the building site, the ramp surfaces mut meet the requirement for color contrast and typically, grooves at 2" to 4" o.c. perpendicular to the path of travel is acceptable.

This is what they train the blind with the cane to "look for" to detect the warning surfaces.

If you are on a site and can transmit this info to the GC or architect, before they screw up the public walks, to me it does not matter who is "in charge", take the opportunity to get it right.

It shouldn't be the building department.

I'd like to see more regulation than we see around here... I've tripped and fallen more than once.

Joint venture here - public works and building dept. for city streets, CalTrans for the state highways, one of which is Main St. If it is in front of a SFR, public works handles it.

The only reason I am involved is because I've been volunteered :roll: for the city's ADA coordinator position. :)

Sue