• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Do you see this much

cda

Sawhorse 123
I am not into gas or plumbing

Saw this today and wondered for natural gas if it is used much??

I take it these are crimped connections, for the natural gas lines

84E30681-C577-46C3-864B-5C30D4181F61.jpeg

These are becoming more common. The individual fittings are more expensive, and the tool that compresses the fittings are very expensive. But the time saved can make up for it. Alternatively the steel pipe would be cut to length, then the threads are cut on-site, joint compound applied, then threaded into place. Care has to be taken to place pieces in the correct order. The compression fittings have a built in gasket so there's no need for joint compound and threading. I expect to see more and more of these types of fittings.

Looks like MegaPress to me too. No crimping, similar to SharkBite fittings for PEX.

FYI, still want to make sure that the installer is reaming and de-burring the pipe cuts.

Ok Interesting
Haves seen it for water, but not gas.

Guess as long as it passes pressure and leak test, good to go.

Seeing it here too, quite a bit running across flat commercial roofs. It also makes it a lot easier to tee into the middle of existing systems like it seems they did here. As long as the fittings they are using have the required listing its good, pressure test like normal.