• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does 208.2 word "facility" imply an accessible for every unique parking label?

Yikes

Gold Member
Parking lot at a public housing development has gated parking reserved for each dwelling unit. In addition to resident parking, outside the gates there are 25 parking stalls labeled as follows:
  • Guest Parking Only
  • Reserved for Future Residents [aka leasing office business parking]
  • Reserved - Staff
  • Reserved - Maintenance
There are some stalls that have no "reserved / only" markings, meaning they can also be used by residents. Of these unmarked stalls, one is and ADA van stall, and the other is an ADA standard stall.

1706556461870.png

QUESTION: Since each of the "reserved / only" means that only specific types of users can park there, is each of the categories above considered a unique type of "facility" in 208.2?... IOW, does each type also need its own (van) accessible parking space? Do I also need a van space for guests, another van space for leasing office business, a van space for management staff, and a van space for maintenance staff?

If I don't provide these, but only provide non-reserved ADA spaces for use by everyone, am I discriminating against (for example) a leasing office employee who drives an accessible van because they now have to fight for parking with all other user types, whereas the able-bodied employee gets to use spaces reserved for employees?