• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a 2mX2m solar collective panel attached to the roof of a house need the design of a P.Eng.?

sunyaer

As per Ontario building code, does a 2mX2m solar collective panel attached to the roof of a house need the design of a P.Eng.? Where is the clause of the code?

Yes. It is not a prescriptive load from Section 9.4, so an engineer would need to review the additional loading. Code section would be 9.4.1.1.(1)(c)(ii).
I am a bit going to the extreme, and just for learning purpose: sometimes, you see people anchor a big antenna on the roof of their house, is the load of these antennas a prescriptive load from section 9.4.? Does the building code deal with these situations? (I've seen there are situations where I would not do it on my house.)

In theory, any additional load needs the involvement of an engineer. However, the building official can use their own judgement on what the feel may be acceptable.

As per Ontario building code, does a 2mX2m flexible solar panels attached to the roof of a house need the design of a P.Eng.? Where is the clause of the code?
It's important to note that while a P.Eng. may not be required for the design, the installation must still comply with all relevant building codes, regulations, and electrical standards. It is advisable to consult the most recent version of the Ontario Building Code or contact your local building department or a qualified professional for accurate and up-to-date information regarding the specific requirements and regulations for solar panel installations in your area.