• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a Giant steel beam in garage need sheetrock?

mtlogcabin said:
intumescent paint does provide a thermal barrier. That is how it works. When steel looses 60% of its yeild strength it is considered a structural failure. That can happen at a low tempeture than wood. http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ICC-ES/ESR-1092.pdf
The ICC ES Report says that the coating can be good for a 4 hour rating on steel. Now that's saying something if it can do that. I can see where deputy inspection is a good idea. The odds of a residential application are slim. I wonder what the expense is.

The ICC is pretty slick with the pdf file because I couldn't copy and post any of it.

When heated, intumescent paints expand to provide a thermal barrier that protects the steel.

"Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supportiing the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than..."

Seems clear to me - and it includes the exterior walls supporting the separation that are not part of a required separation. I believe it is intended to keep the structure intact for a longer time in a fire situation.

char-layer.jpg

intumescent paint responding to flames

Painting the reclaimed steel beam with a generous coating of an intumescent coating

probably won't provide the "aesthetic" look that is desired by the owners.

globe trekker said:
Painting the reclaimed steel beam with a generous coating of an intumescent coatingprobably won't provide the "aesthetic" look that is desired by the owners.
Better than boxing it in with Gypbd.

IRC is prescriptive; 5/8ths gypsum on ceiling, ½ on walls and columns. Equivalent would be 40 min. and 15 min. respectively per IBC or what you will approve. The time is of protection not to failure.

Seem the walls and columns could fail before the beam; See page 24: Steel Construction Fire Resistance

Francis

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely need to protect the beam and the posts that support it with drywall. I would be open to the paint with supporting documentation like you would see in a commercial job. Maybe a special infection certification from an engineer?