• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does a hotel with 24 hour staffing need to be monitored by the fire department?

peach said:
I believe the alarm sounding to the front desk meets the intent of the code... even with elevators. As long as the staff is trained to call 911.
I wasn't sure, after reading the 2006 IFC and trying to search through NFPA 72, whether or not an activated smoke detection device in a guest room required an alarm activation or supervisory (as you might find in a duct detector (907.12)).

The structure that I'm working with in this case is a 4 story hotel that is sprinkled throughout. 907.2.8.3 allows for the transmission of smoke alarms to a constantly attended station for manual activation when the building is not equipped throughout with a sprinkler system.

I'm assuming that since a higher level of protection is being instituted in terms of the sprinkler system, that 907.2.8.3 is still allowable as the intent is still the same?

907.2.8.3 Smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms shall be installed as required by Section 907.2.10. In buildings that are not equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system installed in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the smoke alarms in sleeping units shall be connected to an emergency electrical system and shall be annunciated by sleeping unit at a constantly attended location from which the fire alarm system is capable of being manually activated.

Quick read I say they are not required to be monitored in any way, in a sprinkled building

A guest room smoke detector should give a supervisory signal instead of sounding the building alarm, because there are too many false alarms. A couple nights ago the smoke detector started beeping in the room I was staying in when the electric heat came on for the first time since spring and some accumulated dust ionized.

A heat detector or water flow in the sprinkler system should sound a general alarm.

Paul Sweet said:
A guest room smoke detector should give a supervisory signal instead of sounding the building alarm, because there are too many false alarms. A couple nights ago the smoke detector started beeping in the room I was staying in when the electric heat came on for the first time since spring and some accumulated dust ionized.A heat detector or water flow in the sprinkler system should sound a general alarm.
Code section requiring monitored smoke alarms in a room

tmurray said:
Now I know how other people feel when talking to me...
I have my own defintion and more than likely not liked by some.

I want to say a lot of hotel/ motels smoke alarms you see "in the room" are stand alone and not monitored.

Yes there are systems out there that can monitor smoke alarms only, like a nurse call station, or maybe I am out of date?

Maybe this is Canada only,

Smoke Alarms - stand alone detection and notification

Smoke Detector - detection only, ties to fire alarm panel for notification

Could some others chime in? I'd really like to know if the terms are only different in Canada.

tmurray said:
Maybe this is Canada only,Smoke Alarms - stand alone detection and notification

Smoke Detector - detection only, ties to fire alarm panel for notification

Could some others chime in? I'd really like to know if the terms are only different in Canada.
I agree with your definitions

Paul Sweet said:
A guest room smoke detector should give a supervisory signal instead of sounding the building alarm, because there are too many false alarms. A couple nights ago the smoke detector started beeping in the room I was staying in when the electric heat came on for the first time since spring and some accumulated dust ionized.A heat detector or water flow in the sprinkler system should sound a general alarm.
Sorry for being off the radar the past couple of days after posting my original "revival" of this old thread. In my experience, if an alarm system is installed in a hotel, guest room smoke detectors are installed to report as a supervisory signal to the FACP, however I am unable to find any code that makes this a requirement. I found a section in NFPA 101 (which is not applicable in my jurisdiction) that indicates that a guest room smoke detector should trigger a full alarm mode to the FACP.

I tend to agree with CDA at this point, that with the lack of a specific code (IFC, IBC, NFPA70 or 72) calling out for guest room smoke detectors to report in to a FACP at all, either supervisory or alarm(The exception here is IFC 907.2.8.3 which does require monitoring of the guest rooms in a non sprinkled structure). There is specific code that calls out for the lobby and corridor smoke detectors to report to the FACP, but not for the guest rooms (see previously mentioned exception).

Given that this is a sprinkled structure, the code requirements I can find is that smoke detection must be installed in the guest room (State amendment to the IFC), there is no call out elsewhere for monitoring or FACP involvement.

Perhaps this is just the industry standard practice? To install guest room smoke detection on a supervisory signal?

firemanx said:
Sorry for being off the radar the past couple of days after posting my original "revival" of this old thread. In my experience, if an alarm system is installed in a hotel, guest room smoke detectors are installed to report as a supervisory signal to the FACP, however I am unable to find any code that makes this a requirement. I found a section in NFPA 101 (which is not applicable in my jurisdiction) that indicates that a guest room smoke detector should trigger a full alarm mode to the FACP.I tend to agree with CDA at this point, that with the lack of a specific code (IFC, IBC, NFPA70 or 72) calling out for guest room smoke detectors to report in to a FACP at all, either supervisory or alarm(The exception here is IFC 907.2.8.3 which does require monitoring of the guest rooms in a non sprinkled structure). There is specific code that calls out for the lobby and corridor smoke detectors to report to the FACP, but not for the guest rooms (see previously mentioned exception).

Given that this is a sprinkled structure, the code requirements I can find is that smoke detection must be installed in the guest room (State amendment to the IFC), there is no call out elsewhere for monitoring or FACP involvement.

Perhaps this is just the industry standard practice? To install guest room smoke detection on a supervisory signal?
I want to say normally smoke alarms in rooms are not monitored. Otherwise the manager is going to have to go to the room, ignore it, or call the fire dept.

It appears 101 has even gotten away from it in hospital rooms???