• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

does change in cubicle layout equal alteration level 2?

Enginerd

Bronze Member
Let me preface by stating this project is in PA, and chapter 1 of the IBC has not been adopted.

I have an existing office space, and want to change the layout of the cubicles to accomodate a different tennant (same occupancy class, B).

If I rearrange the portable cubicle walls, in a way that maintains egress aisles and access to Exits, does this count as Alteration level 2 in the IEBC?

Would I then have to upgrade non-compliant bathrooms, and non-accessible entrance just because I rearranged a few cubicles?

How tall are the cubicle walls, do you need to move power, What are the travel distances?

Most likely no is the answer.

Typically the IEBC is an owner's option alternative code to the new construction code

The cubicals are often treated as furniture, not as part of the building, but sitll regulated as obstructions to egress under the fire code.

The administrative provisions vary by jurisdiction.

Correcting non compliant bathrooms and entrances that do not meet accessibility requirements may not be required under the building code, but could well be civil rights violations under the ADA that required barrier removal decades ago and can be enforced by the DOJ or by private parties in Federal Court with provisions for your having to pay their attorney's fees and costs.

Enginerd said:
Let me preface by stating this project is in PA, and chapter 1 of the IBC has not been adopted.I have an existing office space, and want to change the layout of the cubicles to accomodate a different tennant (same occupancy class, B).

If I rearrange the portable cubicle walls, in a way that maintains egress aisles and access to Exits, does this count as Alteration level 2 in the IEBC?

Would I then have to upgrade non-compliant bathrooms, and non-accessible entrance just because I rearranged a few cubicles?
I have similar questions to Mr. Hammer's. In some cases I have seen cubicle layout changes become level 2 alterations due to increases in occupant loads (increased means of egress widths, travel distances, etc.), required plumbing facilities, power and lighting adjustments.

Otherwise my answers to your questions are NO and NO. The bathrooms are not the primary function, and as long as you don't decrease access via an accessible route, I would not see this as level 2 alteration.

Thank you for your responses. I believe the cubicles are around 5' high. The actual occupant load of 29, based on number of cubicles, will be less than the calculated occupant load of 48 based on square footage.

All occupants will have access to 2 means of egress, although neither will be accessible. All occupants will be within 500 feet of non-accessible bathrooms.

The office space being renovated is a small portion of a very large industrial manufacturing facility.

Enginerd said:
Thank you for your responses. I believe the cubicles are around 5' high. The actual occupant load of 29, based on number of cubicles, will be less than the calculated occupant load of 48 based on square footage.All occupants will have access to 2 means of egress, although neither will be accessible. All occupants will be within 500 feet of non-accessible bathrooms.

The office space being renovated is a small portion of a very large industrial manufacturing facility.
sounds like a whole lot of non-accessibility going on...it might be time to take a serious look at the following link the removal of architectural barriers and have the client sit down with a lawyer.

http://www.ada.gov/racheck.pdf

3411.8 Scoping for alterations. The provisions of Sections 3411.8.1 through 3411.8.14 shall apply to alterations to existing buildings and facilities.

3411.8.1 Entrances. Accessible entrances shall be provided in accordance with Section 1105.

Exception: Where an alteration includes alterations to an entrance, and the building or facility has an accessible entrance, the altered entrance is not required to be accessible, unless required by Section 3411.7. Signs complying with Section 1110 shall be provided.

3411.8.11 Toilet rooms. Where it is technically infeasible to alter existing toilet and bathing facilities to be accessible, an accessible family or assisted-use toilet or bathing facility constructed in accordance with Section 1109.2.1 is permitted. The family or assisted-use facility shall be located on the same floor and in the same area as the existing facilities.

3411.6 Alterations. A building, facility or element that is altered shall comply with the applicable provisions in Chapter 11 of this code and ICC A117.1, unless technically infeasible. Where compliance with this section is technically infeasible, the alteration shall provide access to the maximum extent technically feasible.

Exceptions:

1. The altered element or space is not required to be on an accessible route, unless required by Section 3411.7.

2. Accessible means of egress required by Chapter 10 are not required to be provided in existing buildings and facilities.

3. The alteration to Type A individually owned dwelling units within a Group R-2 occupancy shall meet the provision for a Type B dwelling unit and shall comply with the applicable provisions in Chapter 11 and ICC A117.1.