• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does glass of factory fabricated exterior windows need not conform to section 9.6. Glass?

sunyaer

This is from Ontario building code Division B part 9:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 9.6. Glass
9.6.1. General
9.6.1.1. Application
(1) This Section applies to,
(a) glass in,
(i) interior windows and interior doors and their sidelights,
(ii) clothes closets,
(iii) site-built exterior windows, doors and skylights,
(iv) shower or bathtub enclosures,
(v) glazed panels and partitions, and
(b) the protection of glass.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. What is "site-built" in (a)(iii)?

2. Does glass of factory fabricated exterior windows need not conform to this section?

Site built is where a builder will fabricate their windows on site by assembling glass panes (usually purchased pre-fabricated as a double or triple pane) to window sashes and jambs. This is very rare - I have not had someone do this.

This section would not apply to exterior-factory constructed windows as they need to meet the requirements of AAMA/WDMA/CSA A440/I.S.2/101, which requires units are tested to ensure performance requirements are met.

I seen this done in circumstances like triangular-shaped windows in the peak of the wall etc. Not normal but something that happens occasionally.

Site built is where a builder will fabricate their windows on site by assembling glass panes (usually purchased pre-fabricated as a double or triple pane) to window sashes and jambs. This is very rare - I have not had someone do this.

This section would not apply to exterior-factory constructed windows as they need to meet the requirements of AAMA/WDMA/CSA A440/I.S.2/101, which requires units are tested to ensure performance requirements are met.
Is the replacement (usually by a window guy or factory) of exterior windows of a 20 year old house considered site built?

I wouldn't. They would typically be using the exact same methodology and materials for the replacement, so the original test results should be applicable.

Here in the US replacement glass in hazardous locations has to be safety glass, even if the original glass wasn't. The list of hazardous locations probably hasn't changed much in 20 years, but if you go back 50 years or so there might not have been any requirement for safety glass.

I wouldn't. They would typically be using the exact same methodology and materials for the replacement, so the original test results should be applicable.
So, this kind of exterior window replacement do not need to comply with Section 9.6. Glass?

There are many shops in Toronto doing business like this, though they usually use plastic tubes as window frame. Is this rare outside of Toronto area?

So, this kind of exterior window replacement do not need to comply with Section 9.6. Glass?
No, they would continue to fall under the original WDMA standard, so we don't need to worry about the structural wind load on the glass.

There are many shops in Toronto doing business like this, though they usually use plastic tubes as window frame. Is this rare outside of Toronto area?
I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but I teach at the provincial level here in NB and almost all windows in this province are factory manufactured. I did have one student who indicated one of his local builders still site fabricated his windows. He was an older gentleman and had always fabricated his own.

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but I teach at the provincial level here in NB and almost all windows in this province are factory manufactured. I did have one student who indicated one of his local builders still site fabricated his windows. He was an older gentleman and had always fabricated his own.
Would you please confirm:
1. when saying "... in NB and almost all windows in this province are factory manufactured", do you mean factories manufacture the glass of the windows?

2. when saying "...one of his local builders still site fabricated his windows", do you mean the local builders manufactured the glass of the windows?

Would you please confirm:
1. when saying "... in NB and almost all windows in this province are factory manufactured", do you mean factories manufacture the glass of the windows?

2. when saying "...one of his local builders still site fabricated his windows", do you mean the local builders manufactured the glass of the windows?
1. No, windows come as a completed package, including the frame.

2. No, they buy a pre-assembled double or triple pane window with the low-e coating and typically argon filled from a supplier, then assemble it with the wooden components.

To assemble the panes, apply the proper coatings, have the inert gas between the panes and properly install the spacer between the panes requires a significant amount of technical training and specialized tools that most builders don't posses.