• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Does the IEBC state what are the requirements for tenant doors opening into exit passageways?

BillS

2018 IEBC, we are looking at a tenant space renovation (combining two tenant spaces into one, changing the use from a retail t-shirt shop to business offices). The tenant space's entry door is in the ground floor lobby, which is actually an exit passageway that provides a protected egress path from the stairs in the back of the building for the apartments above. So, Level 2 Alterations and Change of Occupancy.

My question is... I see the IEBC requirements for door closing, door swing, panic hardware, etc. but I can't see if there's any requirements/steps to determine if the nice existing heavy wood door with a big glass lite and fancy ornate hardware can remain as is? Since this is an an unsprinklered building this B Occupancy needs a 2-HR separation from the apartments, so the stair enclosure would be 2-HRs, and then the exit passageway would be 2-HRs as well. My intuition would tell me that there's something that would trigger review of this existing door, but I can't find it... any thoughts? Maybe it honestly can remain?

Thanks!

IEBC Ch. 10 does not provide specific information that would apply to this door. Generally, in this case, where no new fire resistant construction is proposed, it is presumed that the existing construction is conforming. As such, it would be allowed to remain (see IEBC 302.4).

302.4 Existing Materials

Materials already in use in a building in compliance with requirements or approvals in effect at the time of their erection or installation shall be permitted to remain in use unless determined by the building official to be unsafe.

That said, if the door is part of an existing non-conformity or was replaced at some time without proper permitting, then it should be rectified and does not benefit from the aforementioned section. All involved parties (owner, tenant, design professional, and code official) have the responsibility to address.

IEBC Ch. 10 does not provide specific information that would apply to this door. Generally, in this case, where no new fire resistant construction is proposed, it is presumed that the existing construction is conforming. As such, it would be allowed to remain (see IEBC 302.4).

302.4 Existing Materials

Materials already in use in a building in compliance with requirements or approvals in effect at the time of their erection or installation shall be permitted to remain in use unless determined by the building official to be unsafe.

That said, if the door is part of an existing non-conformity or was replaced at some time without proper permitting, then it should be rectified and does not benefit from the aforementioned section. All involved parties (owner, tenant, design professional, and code official) have the responsibility to address.
ClassicT, exactly the kind of thoughts/feedback I needed! Appreciate it!

In your situation, the 2018 IEBC outlines various requirements for alterations and change of occupancy. While specific details about the existing door are not explicitly stated, it's advisable to consider factors such as fire resistance and separation requirements for unsprinklered buildings. Given the 2-HR separation needed from the apartments, it's recommended to consult local building officials or a qualified design professional to ensure compliance and determine if the existing door can remain unchanged.
Slinder 22, I appreciate your response... in this case, I AM the qualified design professional ;) !

I recognize that in new construction under the IBC that this door would need to be a 90-MIN rated door. I also know that one of the reasons that the IEBC exists is to not require every aspect of an existing building to be reviewed and/or brought up to full compliance... so I am trying to determine if there is a specific code section that lists a trigger that would require that review or not, to determine if IEBC compliance is required. For example, the 1011.4-6 hazard category tables offer nice, clean ways to classify what needs to be addressed for other building aspects about what could remain because the new use is no more hazardous than the old one. When a client or a building code official asks me why or why not something is required, I like to able to point to the specific code section.

Thanks!

When was the building constructed, and under what code?

A fundamental rule is that the IEBC presumes that the construction was legal/compliant at the time of original construction.