• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dog Training Occupancy group?

A little more info..

How many sq ft??

How many training areas, inside??

Training only or other dog related services???

Any other you can offer

Will the business do the training.

Will owners be there all the time doing the training.

I am thinking a "B" until further proof changes my mind

B, Professional Service.

May touch into an M if they have any displayed goods that are for sale, but that's doubtful as it would have to me more than 10% of the facility.

"B", as in "Bow-wow".
Hate to say it, but the IBC is not concerned with life-safety for animals. It's about life-safety for the humans that staff the facility.

Similarly why IBC 304 lists "Animal Hospitals, kennels and pounds" as a "B" occupancy instead of an "I-2" or "I-3" occupancy, even when the animals are incapable of self-preservation.

Wouldn't that come under EDUCATION?
Are you being serious, or joking?

Just in case your serious, or if someone else were to read your post and not catch on.... Education is intended for occupancies focusing on the education of school age children of an age greater than 2-1/2 years through 12th grade.

The intent is clearly grade-school like occupancies; not the absolute literal sense of the word education. Yes, training dogs is in a way educating, but I can't see how you would argue that as the intent of the code. Going to a Group-E occupancy would be much more restrictive and complex. Go with Group-B, which includes "Training and skill development not in a school or academic program", "Animal hospitals, kennels and pounds", and "Professional Services" as examples of Group-B occupancies.

305.1 Educational Group E
Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.

Are you being serious, or joking?

Just in case your serious, or if someone else were to read your post and not catch on.... Education is intended for occupancies focusing on the education of school age children of an age greater than 2-1/2 years through 12th grade.

The intent is clearly grade-school like occupancies; not the absolute literal sense of the word education. Yes, training dogs is in a way educating, but I can't see how you would argue that as the intent of the code. Going to a Group-E occupancy would be much more restrictive and complex. Go with Group-B, which includes "Training and skill development not in a school or academic program", "Animal hospitals, kennels and pounds", and "Professional Services" as examples of Group-B occupancies.

305.1 Educational Group E
Educational Group E occupancy includes, among others, the use of a building or structure, or a portion thereof, by six or more persons at any one time for educational purposes through the 12th grade.
That was my attempt at HUMOR, I was tempted to use a Day Care Reference.
Sorry, thought it would lighten the mood in these dark days of the Pandemic
People have already pointed out it is most likely a B occupancy