• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doing your job or being a jerk

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Called for a plumbing rough inspection. DWV not connected in the basement yet so they were not ready for the inspection. 1-1/2" pipe for the clothes washer and no trap because they said they were going to put it in the basement. Venting and support problems too. I noticed that there was not any visible purple primer on any of the joints. When I questioned them they admitted they did not use primer and instead sanded the joints before gluing.

It was a failed inspection and an incomplete installation. They wanted to know if they passed the pressure/water column test after they finished would I sign off on it. Answer was no, redo the whole job. This was a whole house install on a small ranch SFR. They tore it all out and passed a re-inspection.

Would anyone here handle that differently? There were too many things wrong and the job was not 100% complete.

Re: Doing your job or being a jerk

Some times you have to be a jerk to do your job! I would have done the same thing!

Danged Jeff, you got me frothing! :) I like telling them to rip it all out

and start over. Oh and by the way Mr. Plumber, leave all of the stuff you

rip out over there in a pile so I can verify that your not re-using that crap.

Where in the world did you get your plumbing license from... out of a

candy dispensing machine? Also, if I have to come back out the 3rd

time, there will be a reinspection fee. Capice?

I agree with you Jeff. Make `em do it right or not at all. ;)

Jeff,

"It was a failed inspection and an incomplete installation."

If the installation was that bad; and the work was not complete; I would have written a "not ready for inspection" and not commented or written anything about the rest of the work. That would be done at the following "re-inspection". :)

If your want to be a jerk; you must earn the title. :)

Uncle Bob

We wind up terminating the inspection after six items, no punch-lists, unless as Jeff refered which was obviously not ready for inspection, would've made the same call. Bill

Jeff -

If it is not correct, it fails period.

I've failed a few jobs myself, most are the same contractor.

Sue, living la vida loca on the frontier :cool:

gene, I used to think I was tough........but not anymore. :shock:

With a few days off you will feel better! :lol: I feel better already just saying that! :D

Yesterday I had a plumbing inspection rough. I didn't get past the laundry room and fail the job. The contractor, asked, if I could look at the rest of the DWV. I said, I would be glad to once they had it installed properly,supported,ready for a test and all the studs and plates repaired. Inspection failed.

On the way out I looked at the window install. No head flashing. Windows not installed to manufactures specs. Oh by the way Mr. Contractor please remove all stucco and wire so I can inspect the paper behind it. You will have to do most of it any way to install the windows correctly. Please call me when you are ready. He didn't ask me for comments on the HVAC install.

I agree! Turn it down!

While I agree with most of the posters on here it bothers me that some people here get enjoyment out of creating grief for the contractors. I try to establish a good working relationship with the contractors while getting them to do their trade work to the minimum requiements of the code and not to my opinion of what I would've done. As for not allowing them to use the material they cut up on the failed inspection the code only would prevent them from using old joints unless they cut the pipe long enough before joint that a coupling would work. I told myself when I took this job as an inspector 15 years ago that I wouldn't be that jerkoff that I had to deal with when I was in the the field. I only get ignorant with the contractors when they try to talk down to me or get abusive. Plain and simple they need us to get what they want. We can make it simple while still doing our jobs without being a jerk. Sometimes we have to be a jerk but, most of the time it's not necessary to get our point across.

karmann33 said:
While I agree with most of the posters on here it bothers me that some people here get enjoyment out of creating grief for the contractors. <>
The last thing I want to do is write a field correction notice but I am not afraid to either. If that makes me a jerk so be it. I am an inspector, not a cheerleader.

I look really awful in a skirt...

karmann - I think some of what you are reading is 'locker room humor'. By and large I don't think anyone actually enjoys being a jerk... sometimes it's just a necessary evil. :twisted:

Gene - Grate post! :lol: :lol: :lol:

karmann,

The contractor in the field is supposed to know what and how to do.

It doesn't give most of us a kick to make grief for him. On the other hand, I don't sympathize with such rank incompetence.

As Jeff showed, so often the shyster tries to bring the situation to some personal kind of level.

When I do win a jobsite correction argument I do feel that I've struck a blow for the public, however.

karmann -

I hate writing correction notices. I have one contractor here that still doesn't strap the water heater after numerous correction notices. This is also the same one that comes in my office and starts yelling at me for the least little imagined slight. I really don't think that they pay me enough to be berated and belittled by a contractor, but, I take it anyway.

Sue

When we find as many problems as described, we take a look at who did the installation.

If it's a homeowner, we put our teachers hat on, and go over any problems we found, explain why they are a problem, and talk to the homeowner about how he's going to correct it. We will come back as many times as it takes to get them educated and get a quality product. Most of the time it's just the intial visit and maybe one more.

If it's a licensed contractor, then we'll usually point out the problems, tell them to redo and we'll be back when you're ready.

We are a small department, in a rural area, so we're lucky that usually we have the time to be able to help homeowners understand what is needed. Of course, if they decide to be uncooperative, then we tell them to get a licensed plumber, and won't pass the job until it's done right.

I simply stated that we as inspectors don't have to be an azzhole while doing our duties. Some of you like to make your own assumptions that someoene isn't doing their job. I have no problem writing a correction notice when the situation calls for it. If that makes me a jerk then so be it. Thanks

I guess it depends on your point of veiw. I have seen 17 failed framing re-inspections on the same new house of a major nation-wide builder. It's just harder for some builder's supervisors to learn code compliance than others.

Yes, the builder accepted that the violations were valid; and paid the required re-inspection fees.

No, I didn't do the inspections, :)

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob said:
I guess it depends on your point of veiw. I have seen 17 failed framing re-inspections on the same new house of a major nation-wide builder. It's just harder for some builder's supervisors to learn code compliance than others.Yes, the builder accepted that the violations were valid; and paid the required re-inspection fees.

No, I didn't do the inspections, :)

Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob you didn't really have to go back 17 times to do a framing inspection did You? I was only trying to get my point across about not having to being a jerk until the contractor forces me to do my job. If I show up for an inspection and it fails I tell them that it failed and call me back when the job is completed and I'll be back to inspect. When I come back and it fails again then yes I can see being a jerk or an azzhole because I've wasted my valuable time coming back to a job that should have been done right the first time. I never said anything about not wanting to write correction notices or not enforcing the codes as they are because I routinely have to write correction notices for the same contractor. By the way I'm not going to have to go back 17 times before I get what I'm asking to be done whether they are a national contractor or not. After 2 trips for the same failed inspection I put a stop work on the job until the corrections are made so I'm not wasting my time. You gents have a nice weekend.

karmann - What about the ladies? Don't they get to have a nice weekend? ;)

I did'nt think I was a jerk, but after leaving the inspection I felt like one. Eight items on the outside, I pushed the doorbell, did'nt hear a thing, must have been a silent bell, maybe flashing lights? Waiting on the porch, steps where at 8" high, exterior outlet did not trip. Knocked on the door, standing in the entry way, handrail not returned to the wall, living room ceiling light hanging from the romex leads, attic fan cover missing, floor registers not installed, dishwasher, range, range hood not installed. Owner asked if the toilet setting in the living room floor needs installed as he's working on the hall light switches, sez the smokes arn't working! Then the question: "Can I get a TCO, I want to move in this week before christmas". All he needed was two little girls with thier teddy's and I would have had to go to the codes car for a cry and regroup! Told him call me when it's ready, his responce was "how will I know there is'nt more items to fix?" Maybe I should find another line of work, "contracting ?" :( :cry: