• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door and Landing Requirements for Side Entry Stair - Double Door

amymbray

I am working on a project where the designer has a double door swinging out for a side entry stair. I have seen double doors used at straight runs but never in this fashion. I am curious if others have experienced this and whether it indeed meets code. The landing does allow for the radius and half the distance between the handrails for the stair width but I worry there is still and issue.

Would add image but cant figure out how to without having a URL :(

I'm a little confused by your wording but whenever I seen this situation the landing is at least twice as wide as the door so you have with the door passed its edge when it's 90° from the building. Also, in the situations I've seen the doors love to swing all the way to be flush against the building when fully opened.

I'm a little confused by your wording but whenever I seen this situation the landing is at least twice as wide as the door so you have with the door passed its edge when it's 90° from the building. Also, in the situations I've seen the doors love to swing all the way to be flush against the building when fully opened.
Yeah my first thought was they should use a 180 swing but the handrail placement doesn't allow that. In the current 90 configuration the door, if fulling open, would block a portion of the south side of the stair. (Stair is 8'-0" and there is a handrail in the middle.) but it still allows for a diagonal dimension between the door and the handrail of roughly 3'-6".

Yeah my first thought was they should use a 180 swing but the handrail placement doesn't allow that. In the current 90 configuration the door, if fulling open, would block a portion of the south side of the stair. (Stair is 8'-0" and there is a handrail in the middle.) but it still allows for a diagonal dimension between the door and the handrail of roughly 3'-6".
If double doors are Req because of the occupant load then the entire path of travel should be also. If you only have a clearance of 3'6" between the door and the rail then you do not have a sufficient path of travel for the occupant load.

If double doors are Req because of the occupant load then the entire path of travel should be also. If you only have a clearance of 3'6" between the door and the rail then you do not have a sufficient path of travel for the occupant load.
Not necessarily...

[BE] 1005.7.1 Doors. Doors, when fully opened, shall
not reduce the required width by more than 7 inches (178
mm). Doors in any position shall not reduce the required
width by more than one-half.

Not necessarily...

[BE] 1005.7.1 Doors. Doors, when fully opened, shall
not reduce the required width by more than 7 inches (178
mm). Doors in any position shall not reduce the required
width by more than one-half.
I missed that section but with a 50% reduction how to meet the requirements? It seems like a conflict to me.