• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door Holder with Stand-Alone Smoke Detector

LGreene

In the war against the millions of wood wedges holding open fire doors, there is a product that is a battery-operated holder with an onboard smoke detector. It is fail safe, so when the battery dies the holder doesn't work any more. A separate closer closes the door once the holder releases. Here is some more information about it: http://w3.securitytechnologies.com/products/closers/mechanical_closers/door_holders_stops/Pages/details.aspx?InfoID=97

My question is this...the smoke detector in this unit would not be "monitored for integrity" as required by NFPA 72. Is there any language in the codes/standards that addresses a product like this? If you are an AHJ, would you allow it to be used on an existing door in your jurisdiction where a hard-wired smoke detector and hold-open are infeasible? If yes, what's the process for a facility to get permission to use it?

On stair doors, all doors have to close if one smoke detector detects smoke, so I would not recommend the use of this product for a stair door, but it sure beats a wood wedge for some of the other doors that are constantly being propped open.

On another note, there is another type of holder which is released by the sound of the fire alarm. Because the IBC requires smoke activation of these doors, I have not recommended the use of this holder in the U.S. Any thoughts? http://www.dorgard.com/

Would not approve dorgard

Have seen the other used before, use to be approved

Would have to research if it still is and if it needs to be monitored

Normally, if a device is code compliant, the cut sheets will list what codes are met. If there is no mention of meeting codes, it does not meet code.

I guess my question would be: other than a stair door, in what kind of building would we have a fire door without a fire alarm system?

monitored deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
School

Office with rated corridor and no sprinklers

There could be various settings with rated doors and no fire alarm

don't think there'd be pull stations in office buildings? (Schools maybe not so much).

Some fire alarm systems don't have to monitored - the idea is to get people out of the building.

An isolated smoke detector to release doors is better than nothing (barely.. since the smoke is already there).

door holders by the 72/ 2010 edtion::

cannot post the pictures

**************** 21.8.2 All detection devices used for door hold-open release service shall be monitored for integrity in accordance with Section 10.17.

Exception: Smoke detectors used only for door release and not for open area protection.****************************

17.7.5.6 Smoke Detectors for Door Release Service.

17.7.5.6.1 Smoke detectors that are part of an open area protection system covering the room, corridor, or enclosed space on each side of the smoke door and that are located and spaced as required by 17.7.3 shall be permitted to accomplish smoke door release service.

17.7.5.6.2 Smoke detectors that are used exclusively for smoke door release service shall be located and spaced as required by 17.7.5.6.

17.7.5.6.3 Where smoke door release is accomplished directly from the smoke detector(s), the detector(s) shall be listed for releasing service.

17.7.5.6.4 Smoke detectors shall be of the photoelectric, ionization, or other approved type.

17.7.5.6.5 The number of detectors required shall be determined in accordance with 17.7.5.6.5.1 through 17.7.5.6.5.4.

17.7.5.6.5.1 If doors are to be closed in response to smoke flowing in either direction, the requirements of 17.7.5.6.5.1(A) through 17.7.5.6.5.1(D) shall apply.

(A) If the depth of wall section above the door is 24 in. (610 mm) or less, one ceiling-mounted smoke detector shall be required on one side of the doorway only, or two wall-mounted detectors shall be required, one on each side of the doorway. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A), part A or B, shall apply.

Detector Location Requirements for Wall Sections.

(B) If the depth of wall section above the door is greater than 24 in. (610 mm) on one side only, one ceiling-mounted smoke detector shall be required on the higher side of the doorway only, or one wall-mounted detector shall be required on both sides of the doorway. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A), part D, shall apply.

©* If the depth of wall section above the door is greater than 24 in. (610 mm) on both sides, two ceiling-mounted or wall-mounted detectors shall be required, one on each side of the doorway. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A), part F, shall apply.

(D) If a detector is specifically listed for door frame mounting, or if a listed combination or integral detector–door closer assembly is used, only one detector shall be required if installed in the manner recommended by the manufacturer's published instructions. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A), parts A, C, and E, shall apply.

17.7.5.6.5.2 If door release is intended to prevent smoke transmission from one space to another in one direction only, detectors located in the space to which smoke is to be confined, regardless of the depth of wall section above the door, shall be in accordance with 17.7.5.6.6. Alternatively, a smoke detector conforming with 17.7.5.6.5.1(D) shall be permitted to be used.

17.7.5.6.5.3 If there are multiple doorways, additional ceiling-mounted detectors shall be required as specified in 17.7.5.6.5.3(A) through 17.7.5.6.5.3©.

(A) If the separation between doorways exceeds 24 in. (610 mm), each doorway shall be treated separately. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.3(A), part E, shall apply.

Detector Location Requirements for Single and Double Doors.

(B) Each group of three or more doorway openings shall be treated separately. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.3(B) shall apply.

Detector Location Requirements for Group Doorways.

© Each group of doorway openings that exceeds 20 ft (6.1 m) in width, measured at its overall extremes, shall be treated separately. Figure 17.7.5.6.5.3© shall apply.

Detector Location Requirements for Group Doorways over 20 ft (6.1 m) in Width.

17.7.5.6.5.4 If there are multiple doorways and listed door frame–mounted detectors, or if listed combination or integral detector–door closer assemblies are used, there shall be one detector for each single or double doorway.

17.7.5.6.6 The locations of detectors shall be determined in accordance with 17.7.5.6.6.1 and 17.7.5.6.6.2.

17.7.5.6.6.1 If ceiling-mounted smoke detectors are to be installed on a smooth ceiling for a single or double doorway, they shall be located as follows (Figure 17.7.5.6.5.3(A) shall apply):

(1)

On the centerline of the doorway

(2)

No more than 5 ft (1.5 m), measured along the ceiling and perpendicular to the doorway (Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A) shall apply.)

(3)

No closer than shown in Figure 17.7.5.6.5.1(A), parts B, D, and F

17.7.5.6.6.2 If ceiling-mounted detectors are to be installed in conditions other than those outlined in 17.7.5.6.6.1, an engineering evaluation shall be made.

ONE MORE:

Chapter 21 Emergency Control Functions and Interfaces

21.1 Application.The provisions of Chapter 21 shall cover the minimum requirements for the interconnection of emergency control functions to the fire alarm system and emergency communications systems in accordance with and 21.2.1 through 21.2.3 and 23.8.1.1

21.1.1 The requirements of Chapters 10, 17, 18, 23, 24 and 26 shall also apply, unless they are in conflict with this chapter.

21.1.2 The requirements of Chapter 14 shall apply.

21.1.3 The requirements of this chapter shall not apply to Chapter 29 unless otherwise noted.

Chapter 21 Emergency Control Functions and Interfaces

21.8 Door Release Service.

21.8.1 The provisions of Section 21.8 shall apply to the methods of connection of door hold-open release devices and to integral door hold-open release, closer, and smoke detection devices.

21.8.2 All detection devices used for door hold-open release service shall be monitored for integrity in accordance with Section 10.17.

Exception: Smoke detectors used only for door release and not for open area protection.

21.8.3 All door hold-open release and integral door release and closure devices used for release service shall be monitored for integrity in accordance with Section 21.2.

21.8.4 Magnetic door holders that allow doors to close upon loss of operating power shall not be required to have a secondary power source.

I got what I think is a good answer from the NFPA. Let me know what you think. The short answer is that detectors used only for door hold-opens do not need to be monitored, and fail safe (release on loss of power/battery) units don’t need to be monitored, so the battery-operated unit is acceptable. Here's a summary of my discussion with NFPA below for your reference.

Here's my question to NFPA:

I am working with a facility locksmith who wants to use the Glynn Johnson Sensaguard 280 holder on some fire doors. The holder is designed for fire doors, it is operated by a 9-volt battery and has a built-in smoke detector. The closer is separate. When the detector senses smoke or when the battery dies, the holder releases and the door closes.

NFPA 72 requires detectors to be monitored, but includes an exception for detectors that are only used for door release. But NFPA 72 also includes a paragraph (21.8.3) requiring all door holders to be monitored. Does this mean that a stand-alone battery-operated detector/holder can not be used?

Here is the response from NFPA:

The requirements for self-closing devices can be found in documents such as NFPA 1-2012, Fire Code, NFPA 101-2012, Life Safety Code, and the local building code.

As pointed out in the Commentary to 21.8.2 in NFPA 72-2010, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code Handbook, monitoring for integrity is not required for detectors integral to the door assembly or for stand-alone detectors not connected to the fire alarm system as these devices may be considered to be fail safe - that is when power is lost, the door will close.

A follow up from me:

Thank you Michael. My only remaining question is how to explain why the paragraph below would not apply.

21.8.3 All door hold-open release and integral door release and closure devices used for release service shall be monitored for integrity in accordance with Section 21.2.

NFPA’s response:

Section 21.8.2 deals with monitoring of detection devices for door open release services and if the smoke detectors are used only for hold-open release service they are not required to be monitored. 21.8.3 deals with the monitoring of door hold-open and integral door release and closure devices used for release of service and calls for monitoring in accordance with 21.2. In accordance with 21.2.6 where Class D pathways are used, fail-safe operation (release on loss of power) is provided monitoring is not required.

Yea go to nfpa when the answer is right above!!!!!

And they probably charged you for it!!!!!!

cda said:
Yea go to nfpa when the answer is right above!!!!!And they probably charged you for it!!!!!!
It wasn't that I didn't like your answer Charles (plus I asked NFPA the same time I asked y'all). I just didn't understand how paragraph 21.8.3 didn't apply until NFPA pointed out 21.2.6. NFPA 72 isn't one of my strengths. I haven't received my bill from NFPA yet, but they don't send me Mothers Day presents like you do so you're still #1 for me. :D