• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door in fire/party wall

cchan

I know there have been some previous threads about similar issues. I searched them but could not find anything quite the same. Please forgive me if I am rehashing earlier threads and link me to the correct material.

MASS 2009 IBC/IEBC

I have a client who owns both sides of a three story building that has a property line right down the middle of it. It was built as two attached single family houses in 1880. It looks like one big building with a mansard roof. In fact the front vestibule is completely open between the two properties although both sides have separate stairs and separate doors leading to the vestibule and they are separate once you are inside the building. On the right side the upper two floors are residential, now functioning as one unit but they could be two separate units as there are kitchens on each floor. The lower floor is a law office. On the left side the upper two floors are residential as separate apartments. The lower floor has been combined with the adjacent property further to the left to become part of a funeral home. Because of downzoning both properties are probably nonconforming but grandfathered in as is. Our client has all three properties under his control and the two properties in the mansard appear to have identical ownership.

The Owner would like to add door in the brick party wall on the property line that runs down the middle of the Mansard structure. This will allow him to get a stair from the second floor apartment on the right side down into the back of the garage at ground level of the neighboring funeral home property on the left side. The right side property has no off street parking so the new stair and door into the garage will be a real convenience.

The IBC specifically prohibits openings in party walls which are walls on lot lines. The code concept is to prevent the spread of fire from one building to another. Would you allow the door if it was a fire rated door with closer and smoke detectors on both sides? In a way I would be making the building safer as it would add second means of egress for the second floor apartment (it has one stair and a fire escape now). And the existing party wall is not a true party/fire wall by current code standards anyway (vestibule issue, wall does not extend above the roof, etc.).

Would you make the Owner merge the lots so the property line disappears? Or sign some kind document linking the properties so they can’t be sold separately?

All thoughts appreiciated.

Would you make the Owner merge the lots so the property line disappears? Or sign some kind document linking the properties so they can’t be sold separately
Either one would work the latter is easier and faster

Sorry offline for a while. no sprinklers that I know of. It is a relatvely small building, second floor is about 1,500 SF on either side of the party wall (3,000 SF total). Third floor is smaller, 800 SF on either side. First floor is similar in size to the second floor except on the left side where it expanded into the funeral home of adjacent property.

cchan said:
Sorry offline for a while. no sprinklers that I know of. It is a relatvely small building, second floor is about 1,500 SF on either side of the party wall (3,000 SF total). Third floor is smaller, 800 SF on either side. First floor is similar in size to the second floor except on the left side where it expanded into the funeral home of adjacent property.
No sprinklers means it doesn't meet current code. My opinion would be that cutting a hole in the firewall reduces the existing level of safety.

Expanding the square footage of the building (pick one or the other) and adding dwellings also reduces the safety.

I strongly recommend hiring a competent architect.

Sounds like a mess. Sounds like the party wall isn't. If the stairways come down into an open vestibule the stairways aren't separate. The proposed new stairway terminates into a garage?

Let the grandfather sleep...