• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Door Signage Avoid - THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN BUILDING IS OCCUPIED

code123123

Hi there,
Wondering any way to avoid the Door Sign "THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN BUILDING IS OCCUPIED" for entry door with lock mechanism? Any Exception?

Thanks

Hi there,
Wondering any way to avoid the Door Sign "THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN BUILDING IS OCCUPIED" for entry door with lock mechanism? Any Exception?

Thanks

Welcome

You might be the youngest

What type of business is the door for?

This is more than likely the wording you have to comply with

Read each word

1010.1.9.3 Locks and latches.
Locks and latches shall be permitted to prevent operation of doors where any of the following exist:

1. 1.Places of detention or restraint.

2. 2.In buildings in occupancy Group A having an occupant load of 300 or less, Groups B, F, M and S, and in places of religious worship, the main door or doors are permitted to be equipped with key-operated locking devices from the egress side provided:
    1. 2.1.The locking device is readily distinguishable as locked.

2. 2.2.A readily visible durable sign is posted on the egress side on or adjacent to the door stating: THIS DOOR TO REMAIN UNLOCKED WHEN THIS SPACE IS OCCUPIED. The sign shall be in letters 1 inch (25 mm) high on a contrasting background.

3. 2.3.The use of the key-operated locking device is revocable by the building official for due cause.

So if there is no keyed cylinder on the inside, you do not need the sign.

A "separate" keyed deadbolt on the inside would make the room door inaccessible.
Must be openable with a single operation.

A magnetic lock??

Will that be the only locking device on the door??

Or a electric stike??

There will be a electronic lock controlled by the employee inside. they will get trained to leave the door unlocked when business hours.

Normally if you can walk up to a door,

Perform one movement/ operation, such as a door lever and get out,

You are legal

Client wants, and code requirements, are all too often separate issues.

I often wonder why owners think they can decide not to meet code requirements. I've been asked by contractors if they can not install code required fixtures because the client doesn't want it. When I tell them they have to install it anyway they usually complain that the client is not going to be happy. I then asked who it was that told their client they had a choice in the matter.

I guess the other options is to not have a lock on the door or as Steveray pointed out a lockset that always opens from the inside regardless of the outside being locked or not.