• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doorbell transformer in attic

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Why was this failed?

IMG_1709.JPG

Re: Doorbell transformer in attic

I don't see any box connectors for the NM. Was the metallic box bonded? I believe you have to protect that doorbell transformer from damage also. Why is a GFI receptacle in the attic?

Fortner said:
I don't see any box connectors for the NM. Was the metallic box bonded? I believe you have to protect that doorbell transformer from damage also. Why is a GFI receptacle in the attic?
Plastic bushings for securing NM were properly installed.

Metal box was properly bonded with grounding conductor.

Not in an attic with storage space.

Don't know why he spent the money on a GFCI but that is not a problem

Hint, this is a commonly overlooked problem with these types of transformers............

Don't know why it failed, but the GFCI might be in case of humidity?

Is that the rafter cross tie or top of the ceiling joist? Question would be about insulation covering the outlet if it's a ceiling joist.

I hope that GFI's not on the bathroom outlet circuit!

Guarding of energized parts? NEC 450.8. Need a case or enclosure for protection against insertion of foreign objects...

georgia plans exam said:
Would it have to do with the mixing of voltage ratings in the same enclosure???GPE
There is no mixing of voltages in the same enclosure in this example.

The class 2 wiring is not in the 4 square box.

Chris

The transformer would be marked "Not for installation in an attic" so 110.3(B) would be the applicable code section to fail this installation.

Chris

vegas paul said:
725.136 (A)
The Class 2 conductors are not located in the same box with the power conductors.

The Class 2 transformer is installed on the exterior of the 4 square metal box and only the 120 volt connection wires are located in the box.

The class 2 wiring is connected to terminals on the outside of the transformer.

Chris