• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doors for coolers and freezers

Codegeek

I have a situation where there are various temperatures occurring between various coolers and freezers. Our client is using a door which stays closed during normal conditions. When someone needs access to the cooler or freezer, there is a button they can push that will re-coil the door. However, when there is a power failure, the door will not operate and has a strap that can be pulled to re-coil the door. The strap only provides for the door to open to approximately 4 feet.

I cannot find any language in the IBC that will allow for the use of an overhead door in a walk-on cooler or freezer. I would assume that the cooler and/or freezer would have to comply with egress, as in some situations the only door into the cooler or freezer area is this overhead door.

I can find language in NFPA 101 that allows for vertical rolling doors to be permitted in a means of egress, however the five criteria that are listed make it difficult to use a rolling door for the cooler and/or freezer areas.

Does anyone have any experience with vertical rolling doors used in this application that would meet NFPA 101 or the IBC?

Nevermind. I re-read yours and it's the same thing........less than 11 is the same at 10 or less.

Thanks for the reference in the IBC. My problem is that the jurisdiction inspecting this particular project enforces NFPA 101, which will supersede the exception in the IBC. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you Coug Dad, I was looking at the 2006 edition and couldn't find it there!

One last question, while the language in the 2009 version of NFPA 101 allows the use of the overhead rolling door, are there specifics on the opening of the door? I cannot find any language that says the overhead door has to open to the 6'8" opening as required for a side-hinged or pivoted-swinging door. The specific door I am looking at opens to approximately four feet above the floor in the event of a power failure.

Coug dad, I could kiss you! Thank you! My background is in the I-Codes, so I'm having a learning curve on 101. :)

Are there specifics on the opening size of the overhead door? I cannot find any language that says the overhead door has to open to the 6'8" opening as required for a side-hinged or pivoted-swinging door. The specific door I am looking at opens to approximately four feet above the floor in the event of a power failure.