• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doors in Unisex Restrooms - One ADA, One Non-ADA

nsuchy

From my understanding, in a grouping of two unisex restrooms, only one restroom has to be ADA-compliant. I was wondering if door maneuvering clearances are still required for the non-compliant restroom? (MN Code)

Thanks!

If the restroom is not accessible (ADA-compliant), then it is my understanding that you do not need to include the door maneuvering clearance in the non-ada restroom.

I don't know the ADA rules, but the 2018 IBC and IEBC says if it is an existing building, egress from the restroom is not required. If a new building it does because the restroom room itself is not exempt from being accessible per 1103.2 exemptions and must have an accessible egress.