• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Doorway opening onto landing

Mech

2009 IBCANSI A117.1 - 2003Accessible Means of Egress Ramp w/ capacity for 49 people (36" between handrails)1010.5.3 Restrictions. Means of egress ramps shall not reduce in width in the direction of egress travel. Projections into the required ramp and landing width are prohibited. Doors opening onto a landing shall not reduce the clear width to less than 42 inches (1067 mm).Following is the picture from the code commentary:

View attachment 1754

My project is similar to the commentary picture, but I only have one ramp, the one heading up / down in the photo. The door is 3 ft wide. Must my landing be a minimum 78" (42" + 36") left to right, top to bottom, or both? I am thinking it must be 78" both ways because the "length" and "width" change depending on the direction of travel (parallel with the ramp and perpendicular through the doorway.)ThanksView attachment 1754

/monthly_2013_01/ICODA2010050413441476710.jpg.1e9e55d37ba7158a4a6132ecf11d8f55.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ANSI makes it clearer just review all the referenced sections

405.7.5 Doorways.

Where doorways are adjacent to a ramp landing, maneuvering clearances required by Sections 404.2.3 and 404.3.2 shall be permitted to overlap the landing area. Where doors that are subject to locking are adjacent to a ramp landing, landings shall be sized to provide a turning space complying with Section 304.3.

Thanks MT; but if I use only ANSI, I can get the landing (inside handrails and building wall) to about 62" x 66", far less than the 78" derived from the building code.

= . . . . . . . . . . =

Mech,

Should the "most restrictive" application apply here [ RE:

Section 102.1, `06 IBC ]?

= . . . . . . . . . . =

They way I see this is the landing needs to be a minimum 60 x 60. You are approching the landing from the latch side of the door. 1010.5.3 requires a 42" clear level surface adjacent to the door. This would give you a 60 X 78 landing.

you are not traveling past the door your direction is down the single ramp