• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Double acting doors

Craig Oka

The 2001 CBC addressed double acting doors in Section 1003.3.1.5. However, the 2007 CBC (and 2006 IBC) no longer appears to address double acting doors.

Section 1008.1.2 requires doors to swing in the direction of travel when serving an occupant load of 50 or more. Since a double acting door swings in both directions, does that mean it complies with 1008.1.2?

I would say it meets the requirement, it is side-hinged swinging, and it will swing in the direction of travel. Nothing jumps out at me that would prevent them.

Ok I will jump in with my opinion

Since a double acting door swings in both directions, does that mean it complies with 1008.1.2?
Yes provided the single leaf meets the required width in 1005 for the OL served

I do not know of another way to have a compliant horizontal exit without double acting doors

one of my pet pevees that was left out of the code for some reason?????????

I have never seen a double acting door (if we are thinking about the same door function) that has positive latch capabilities. Maybe this door you have doesn't require positive latch.

ArchATL

unless it is in a rated wall, required to be a rated door then doe not have to latch

Double-acting doors are not very common any more - they don't latch and they can't be locked except with manual flush bolts and a deadbolt (or a shear lock but that's a terrible application). They're not smoke resistant or fire rated. In most cases where egress is required in both directions, a double egress pair is used - one leaf swings toward you, the other swings away from you. I haven't seen anything in any code that would prohibit their use as long as the door isn't required to be labeled or able to prevent the spread of smoke.