• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Double Acting Doors

LGreene

A double-acting door is one that swings in both directions (like some doors in commercial kitchens). I'm not asking about a double-egress door which is a pair with one leaf swinging in each direction (like some cross-corridor doors).

I have not seen anything in the IBC or NFPA 101 which would not allow double-acting doors to be used in a means of egress, and in some applications I think they're fine. But if I have a single double-acting door in an egress corridor, where egress is required in both directions, that seems like it could be an issue.

What say you?

It's probably OK as long as they don't have to be self-closing and/or positive latching. ADA maneuvering spaces are required on both sides of the door. It's probably best to provide a vision light in case 2 people are approaching from opposite sides intending to push the door open.

I would not approve it. Not sure if there would be a code section to back it up.

But if it is in the corridor it might just be a rated door in some instances, which would not allow the double swing door.

I do not know why it was never put in the I codes???

is this in a corridor??? Just wondering when it says "egress is requireed in both ways" is it for convience or are the required exit path going both ways???

ICC 1008.1.2 Door Swing

Doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving an occupancy load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

ICC 1022.3 Doors in Horizontal Exits

All doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel. Where the horizontal exit serves as an exit from both sides of the wall, there shall be adjacent openings with swinging fire doors opening in opposite directions.

The 2012 IBC has been changed to read, “Doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving a room or area containing an occupant load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy”.

From this site.

Doorman said:
ICC 1008.1.2 Door SwingDoors shall swing in the direction of egress travel where serving an occupancy load of 50 or more persons or a Group H occupancy.

ICC 1022.3 Doors in Horizontal Exits

All doors shall swing in the direction of egress travel. Where the horizontal exit serves as an exit from both sides of the wall, there shall be adjacent openings with swinging fire doors opening in opposite directions.
I am confused. Horizontal exiting is fire-rated assembly and I thought we were not discussing fire-rated assemblies?

Papio Bldg Dept said:
I am confused. Horizontal exiting is fire-rated assembly and I thought we were not discussing fire-rated assemblies?
You're right. Section 1022.3 describes fire doors - typically a double-egress pair.

Regarding 1008.1.2, a double-acting door does swing in the direction of egress travel, but it can also swing against the direction of egress. I haven't found anything to say that you can't use a double-acting door in this location, but I just wondered what y'all thought.

cda said:
is this in a corridor??? Just wondering when it says "egress is requireed in both ways" is it for convience or are the required exit path going both ways???
Yes, in a corridor, and yes, a required exit path for more than 50 people in both directions.

LGreene said:
Yes, in a corridor, and yes, a required exit path for more than 50 people in both directions.
so 50 people on one side are going to run into 50 people on the other side and the door will not swing

But is the wall the door is being framed into a rated wall???? as possibly an area seperation wall or occupancy seperation wall or other ???

LGreene said:
Regarding 1008.1.2, a double-acting door does swing in the direction of egress travel, but it can also swing against the direction of egress. I haven't found anything to say that you can't use a double-acting door in this location, but I just wondered what y'all thought.
Yes, per your description, I would approve it's use. Personally, as a designer, I believe it has limited design applications and should be used as a convenience door and not as the only egress door from a space/room, similar to my position on dutch doors.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Personally, as a designer, I believe it has limited design applications and should be used as a convenience door and not as the only egress door from a space/room, similar to my position on dutch doors.
I agree, but we have architects putting them on the drawings all the time, including attempts to use them as fire doors! We sometimes have a heck of a time convincing them that it's not possible to get a rating.