• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Draft regulator???

klarenbeek

Silver Member
First, great BB! When that other place changed their site, I couldn't get logged on for quite awhile. When I finally did, the message board seemed very user UNfriendly and, actually, not used much. Fortunately, someone posted the link to this site.

Has anyone run into this product? It's basically a baffle that goes in a vent connector to slow down draft so the appliance doesn't lose as much heat up the flue. It is adjustable at time of installation for balancing purposes, but after that, it is fixed. It is NOT listed. would it be allowed under item 2 of IFGC section 503.15 if the vents system were designed by an engineer?

here's the link to the manuf. site.

http://www.efficiumllc.com

Re: Draft regulator???

I would wonder if the appliance manufacturer would allow it and if it voids the appliance's listing by not completely venting the heat and possibly overheating the appliance. jmho

Beach: I agree! These things have been around a while not sure I would allow one with out an Es report or approval from the manufacturing company!

klarenbeek - Welcome, glad you found us. I would get something IN WRITING from your boilers' manufacturer indicating that installation of this unit is acceptable. That a compnay claims it will not void a warranty issued by someone else is a red flag in my mind. The claimed 100% success rate sounds fishy as well.

Thanks for your input. those were the same thoughts and concerns I had, plus the fact that if it is put in and balanced in July when temps here typicaly range anywhere from 80 to 100+, how well will it draft at -20 in january with a 50 MPH wind?

The manufacturer has contacted a local engineer who is doing some research with appliance manufacturers. We'll have to wait and see what he finds.