• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Drain for Public Fountain

Generally I would say no however I would ask the sewer utility provider. Our public works department has some very strict rules about what can discharge to the sanitary and what can discharge to the storm system.

Indoor or outdoor fountain?

I would think an outside fountain would allow for I&I and the sewer plant hates to treat I&I.

Indoor, I don't think there's anyway around that, most likely the SS with some type of strainer prior for unwanted stuff.

Just curious, how big is the fountain?

Outside, definitely to the Stormwater system.

Inside, I would say our provider would want it to go to storm also.

Up to the rules and regulations of the local authority.

Locally, not permitted to discharge anything to City storm that does not land naturally on the City ROW.

Up to the rules and regulations of the local authority.

Locally, not permitted to discharge anything to City storm that does not land naturally on the City ROW.
That's kind of unusual, most places these days (or at least around here) want anything that is not true "Sewage", to go to the storm system since the sewage treatment plants get overloaded otherwise.

That's kind of unusual, most places these days (or at least around here) want anything that is not true "Sewage", to go to the storm system since the sewage treatment plants get overloaded otherwise.
Locally we have plenty of sewer capacity (last I heard, we were only at 60% of capacity).

What is a bigger struggle, is we have a number of rivers that are protected due to salmon. Therefore, State Dept. of Ecology is strict regarding illicit discharges and management of stormwater. Our AHJ has codified that all stormwater must be managed on-site, meaning no discharge to the public way or sewer. Most commonly, this is done through infiltration trenches under a parking lot, dry-wells, or shallow infiltration ponds.

I will say that the laws in WA vary greatly.

As an example, on the west side of the state, city's go so far as to require SFDs to have rain catchment and infiltration systems on site. For the average home, this means determining the total impervious area, getting a USDA soil gradation analysis, and then city/county will tell you how large of a rain garden or infiltration trench you must have. Rain catchment systems, such as barrels under your downspouts, are heavily encouraged due to the capability to hold water and slow down the release rate.

Then in the northeast corner of the state, you have jurisdictions that have banned any type of rain catchment system due to the need for water to infiltrate and replenish diminished aquifer levels. This is totally the opposite of the other side of the state.

It even goes so far as the State Dept. of Ecology releasing two entirely different stormwater manuals, one for each side of the state.

Public fountains will receive contamination (depending on size) from birds, bears and dirty kids too.

I will say that the laws in WA vary greatly.

As an example, on the west side of the state, city's go so far as to require SFDs to have rain catchment and infiltration systems on site. For the average home, this means determining the total impervious area, getting a USDA soil gradation analysis, and then city/county will tell you how large of a rain garden or infiltration trench you must have. Rain catchment systems, such as barrels under your downspouts, are heavily encouraged due to the capability to hold water and slow down the release rate.

Then in the northeast corner of the state, you have jurisdictions that have banned any type of rain catchment system due to the need for water to infiltrate and replenish diminished aquifer levels. This is totally the opposite of the other side of the state.

It even goes so far as the State Dept. of Ecology releasing two entirely different stormwater manuals, one for each side of the state.
Sounds like Washington state has the same type of politicians that Washington DC has!

"Public fountains will receive contamination (depending on size) from birds, bears and dirty kids too."

And stormwater runoff from the street systems is different how?