• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dryer vents

cda

Sawhorse 123
Is there a code section for rain caps on dryer vents that go straight up and out the roof?????

Re: dryer vents

IMC chapter 5 sends you to chapter 6 for items not specifically covered by chapter 5. This is what I would use to enforce that. It works in my humble opinion. (IMHO)

603.16 Weather protection. All ducts including linings, coveringsand vibration isolation connectors installed on the exterior

of the building shall be protected against the elements.

BUT, no specifications on what the weather protection is suppose to look like????

The one I saw, which was installed about 14 years ago, did not seem like you could get any lint out of the building!!!!!!!!!

Found 504 IMC

does anyone enforce ::::504.3 Cleanout. Each ver ti cal riser shall be pro vided with a

means for cleanout.

and if so what does it look like, and how often??? how many feet???

Yes, we would enforce Section 504.3 in the IMC if we had this type of installation.

So far, we have not had this type of installation though!

I'm thinking that the manufacturers installation requirements would be in-place on this.

If there are no manufacturers installation requirements, you can ask for an engineered

system that will comply with getting the exhausts to the exterior of the building.

See also Section 504.7 in the IMC.

Check out this manufacturers venting guidelines:

http://www.geappliances.com/commercial_laundry/venting.pdf