• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dual height drinking fountain and Elkay EZH20

So after a bunch of back and forth with Elkay, the B.O, we ultimately decided to provide just the old fashioned high low. Elkay basically said "Depends on the B.O. interpretation" and that is where they left it. This B.O. would have required a mod (although he said he would back it and thinks it would be approved) the easiest way was to just revert to the good ole fashioned high/low. the owner provides bottled water anyway so 99% of the time, this is just to satisfy the code/BO and the owner will just move on without the bottle filler.
I am a little confused, were you specifying a HiLo unit with a bottle filler like SteveRay posted earlier in the thread? Or were you specifying a single bowl drinking fountain with a bottle filler and suggesting that the bottle filler replace either the hi or lo required fixture? If the latter I would agree with the BO that a single bowl drinking fountain with bottle filler does not meet code.

One more thing, the state can grant a code mod to the Building code / ANSI A117 to the drinking fountain requirements, but that does not get you out of complying with ADA, so while your design would be code compliant your client would be open to ADA litigation.

If you don't mind, send me a PM letting me know what town this is in, there are a couple of BO's in our neck of the woods that are real sticklers when it comes to drinking fountains and I'm just curious if this is in one of these two towns.

ADASAD 211 just requires 50% of the drinking fountains to be accessible, and 50% standing height. It doesn't say they have to be together.

ADASAD just requires 50% of the drinking fountains to be accessible, and 50% standing height. It doesn't say they have to be together.
true, but at a minimum you have to provide one of each even if your plumbing counts say you only need one DF, you have to provide one hi and one lo.

This project was in Stafford.
We ended up going with the old school dual height unit.
Many towns will let you use the single accessible low unit with the bottle fill for the high one.

Many towns will let you use the single accessible low unit with the bottle fill for the high one.
They may allow it but that doesn’t mean it’s up to code or meets ADA. And even if you got a code mod to allow it your client would still be open to ADA litigation.