• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ducts and prescriptive insulation values

TheCommish

Working out of the 2012 IECC residential climate zone 5.

Prescriptively floor insulation over unconditioned space must be R-30, exterior walls R-20 and attics R48/38, typical here may area the duct is installed in the bay of the floor joists (no longer panning the bay), a 6 inch duct with R-6 insulation wrap fills most of the bay precluding the installation of R-30 in that bay, is this allowed?

Should the ducts not be allowed in the bay so that R-30 is installed meeting the requirements of Table R402.1.1?

Further what about the obstructing of a bay, wall or floor of size such as waste or vent piping that significantly reducing the ability to get the required R-values in the bay?

On the performance side, HERS raters who I have talked/listened to have to take into account the quality of insulation installed have said they put in their calculations the reduced R-value for the square footage of the diminished insulation.

If the duct is in the conditioned space (above insulation) the wrap in not required.

Also, footnote (g) states "or insulation sufficient to fill the framing cavity, R-19 minimum"

mj

As I understand TheCommish's statement, the wrapped duct would not be within the conditioned space. I would consider the conditioned space once on the interior side of the wallboard.

IMO, it may not be good practice to use all available joist/bay space which reduces the ability to accomodate the full R-Value but I do not intend to tell a contractor to reroute MEP's either.