• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Dwelling/Garage Separation?

I would have to agree with the others on this and have the drywall separation

required. Also, have the AHJ legal counsel review it for authority to actually

require the enforcement under Section R309.2.

Going back and changing the "plans labeling of the spaces" game should

not ( IMO ), be allowed. The bell has already been rung and the structure

has already been built.

The owner has given you his answer. Obviously, you are only going to get what he is willing to give.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several others have already stated that the separartion is required and that would be the requirement in our jurisdiction. I'm glad that there was a picture with this post. I would also have to wonder if this luxury garage isn't being used in a commercial application as it looks more like a business is being ran out of it rather than storing personel belongings.

Buelligan said:
Has anyone else come across this issue?
All the time. We always say, it doesn't matter one iota how Planning/Zoning defines it. What you have is an intent in the code to separate living/sleeping areas from storage occupancies in order to protect life safety. Separate it. We make them drywall a garage if they are adjacent to a habitable living space...no matter what they call it, or whether it is above or besides. We have also amended our definitions section to help clarify what we consider habitable space and a sleeping room.