• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

dwelling unit containing more than 1 storey, is not located above or below another suite

sunyaer

What does "dwelling unit containing more than 1 storey" mean?
Assume I am designing a 3 storey house where there are two suites (I guess I can say two units in this case), the second dwelling unit is on the third floor having an dedicated exit stairs.

1. Is the second dwelling unit on the third floor containing more than 1 storey?
2. Is the second dwelling unit on the third floor considered being located above another suite? (I guess yes, please confirm)
The following is from Ontario Building Code, Division B, part 9.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.9.9. Egress from Dwelling Units

9.9.9.1. Travel Limit to Exits or Egress Doors

(1) Except as provided in Sentences (2) and (3), every dwelling unit containing more than 1 storey shall have exits or egress doors located so that it shall not be necessary to travel up or down more than 1 storey to reach a level served by,

(a) an egress door to a public corridor, enclosed exit stair or exterior passageway, or
(b) an exit doorway not more than 1 500 mm above adjacent ground level.

(2) Where a dwelling unit is not located above or below another suite, the travel limit from a floor level in the dwelling unit to an exit or egress door is permitted to exceed 1 storey where that floor level is served by an openable window or door,
(a) providing an unobstructed opening of not less than 1 000 mm in height and 550 mm in width, and
(b) located so that the sill is not more than,
(i) 1 000 mm above the floor, and
(ii) 7 m above adjacent ground level.

(3) The travel limit from a floor level in a dwelling unit to an exit or egress door is permitted to exceed 1 storey where that floor level has direct access to a balcony
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------