• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

E&E Wiondow Well Cover

InspMO

Bronze Member
I had brought this up before, but I am not convinced these covers (see pic) meet the intent of R310.4. There is 8 or 10 pins held in place by cotter pins. What do you all think?

View attachment 1269

View attachment 1269

/monthly_2010_04/572953d9b69de_WindowWellCover1600x1200.jpg.55cae76f5b68d4e5bc746b4b9e36af83.jpg

Re: E&E Wiondow Well Cover

InspMo,

IMO, I think that the cover DOES meet the letter

of the code section cited, however, as a matter

of practicality, I would not want to fiddle with

8 or 10 anythings to get out. Just suppose

now that a child is in that room, or even an old

coot like me. Will they know how to release all

of those cotter pins? Yes, yes, I know, ...we

cannot dictate who will and won't be occupying

the rooms. Just seems rather impractical and

time consuming to me. But hey, what do

I know... ? :eek:

Re: E&E Wiondow Well Cover

"...and such devices shall be releasable or removable from the inside without the use of a key, tool, special knowledge or force greater than that which is required for normal operation of the escape and rescue opening."

Too bad it doesn't say anything about 'time'.

8 - 10 seems like alot to me.

Couldn't they use one or two that operate more like the clasps on steamer trunks?