• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

E Occupancy, basement exiting

Inspector 102

Silver Member
An existing building (E Occupancy) would like to remove a second stairway that serves the basement area. The occupant load based on 20SF net would be less than 49 and would thereby put them into the allowances of Table 1015.1 (2003 Edition). The remaining stairway will exit directly to the exterior through a common enter vestible. What they are trying to aacomplish is the gain floor space by eliminating one stairway on the main floor and create a single classroom in the basement when there was 2 before. A portion of the basement will be used as a mechanical room / storage space. What am I missing on exiting provisions? I think they can do it, but I just get the feeling I am missing something.