• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

E2 study materials

codeworks

Gold Member
I've got electrical masters licenses in 2 new england states, just moved to Texas. I'm studying for the E2 exam. has any body used/familier with "burgers" study info. I've relied on Holts stuff in the past. just wondering, how many questions, what sorts of stuff can i expect to find on the exam. My masters back east was 90 questions, open book, 4-1/2 hrs. it was a cooker, thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
E2 isn't an easy exam; all the answers are in the NEC (sometimes footnotes, sometimes in the section you get referred to.. oh, wait, it's articles in the NEC). In any event, you need to know motor calculations and load calculations.. and the special occupancies (health care.. gas stations.. that article 517 stuff).. Try the ICC on line campus for the recertification tests for commercial electrical.. I think it's 25 questions.. that will give you a good taste. Good luck!

Greetings,

I used one of Holt's study books to brush up. Having taken a boat load of electrical masters test way back when I found that just studying up on the changes between then and now was about all I needed. I found E2 to be relatively easy. I would think that you will have a similar experience being fluent in the NEC. I will say that at least 50% of the questions on the E2 where the same as what I saw coming out of the '84 and "87 Codes. After having taking about 12 ICC exams (flunked 2, B2 this week), I have come to realize that I need to know at least 30% of the answers without looking anything up. If I'm there, I pass. In taking B2 the other day I only knew about 20% off the top of my head. Of course I'm sure other folks have a different take on it. I also spend a lot time marking my books. I have a method that works pretty well for me.

BS

tabs and highlighting.. the quicker you can manuever thru the code, the less trouble you'll get into with time.