• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Education use in an unlimited area building

Nicole Brooks

I have a client who has a school located in a flex warehouse building. The building itself is 190,500 sf. The school takes up approximately 38,500 sf of this building. There are two other tenants in this building, separated from the school by a 3hr rated wall. First, I am a bit confused, as I'm not entirely sure how a school was allowed in this building in the first place. The footprint is larger than 10% to qualify as an accessory use. I assume this building was originally permitted as an unlimited area building in the 1970's, but looking at the code for unlimited area buildings now, it would include B, F,S, & M. Use E is covered in a separate section of the code, but is limited to a single story for unlimited. I don't see anywhere that a use E is allowed in the mixed use B,F, S, &M. Please educate me if I am missing something. Anyways, so assuming I am missing something, and an E use group is allowed along with B,F,S, and M, the school has a bay and a half of the building that is separated from the rest of the school by a 3 hour wall as well, totaling 7300 sf. They would like to build a second level above this entire area or classrooms. Could I look at this as an enclosed mezzanine situation? There would be two rated stair enclosures and an elevator for egress. https://merrittcompanies-my.sharepo...BJt3p0GcnEzY0BsUZm3x-8PunvggRJg2myIw?e=nrWGyD

508.4.1 Occupancy classification.
Separated occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. Each separated space shall comply with this code based on the occupancy classification of that portion of the building. The most restrictive provisions of Chapter 9 that apply to the separate occupancies shall apply to the total nonfire-barrier-separated occupancy areas. Occupancy separations that serve to define fire area limits established in Chapter 9 for requiring a fire protection system shall also comply with Section 901.7.

See if the calculations will help

508.4.2 Allowable building area.
In each story, the building area shall be such that the sum of the ratios of the actual building area of each separated occupancy divided by the allowable building area of each separated occupancy shall not exceed 1.

508.4.1 Occupancy classification.
Separated occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. Each separated space shall comply with this code based on the occupancy classification of that portion of the building. The most restrictive provisions of Chapter 9 that apply to the separate occupancies shall apply to the total nonfire-barrier-separated occupancy areas. Occupancy separations that serve to define fire area limits established in Chapter 9 for requiring a fire protection system shall also comply with Section 901.7.

See if the calculations will help

508.4.2 Allowable building area.
In each story, the building area shall be such that the sum of the ratios of the actual building area of each separated occupancy divided by the allowable building area of each separated occupancy shall not exceed 1.
I used that calculation first, the sum is closer to 2, that's why I went to unlimited.

Could I look at this as an enclosed mezzanine situation? There would be two rated stair enclosures and an elevator for egress.

I think you can use the enclosed mezzanine approach. Dot your I's and cross your T's and post a drawing here and see what feedback you get.

505.2.1 Area limitation.
Exception
2. The aggregate area of mezzanines in buildings and structures of Type I or II construction shall be not greater than one-half of the floor area of the room in buildings and structures equipped throughout with an approved automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 and an approved emergency voice/alarm communication system in accordance with Section 907.5.2.2.

if you are going the unlimited area Building apporach keep in mind that in unlimited area buildings of E occupancies, Each classroom shall have not less than two means of egress, with one of the means of egress being a direct exit to the outside of the building complying with Section 1022

preschool through 12th grade. It is a private school.
Assuming the 3-hour walls are fire walls complying with section 706, the school is allowed 75 feet of height, 3 stories and 43,500 square feet (plus maybe 3,000 for frontage) per story. Right? Why aren‘t you assuming the 3-hour walls to be fire walls?

Assuming the 3-hour walls are fire walls complying with section 706, the school is allowed 75 feet of height, 3 stories and 43,500 square feet (plus maybe 3,000 for frontage) per story. Right? Why aren‘t you assuming the 3-hour walls to be fire walls?
The structure is not separated. They ae 3hr fire barrier walls, not 3hr fire walls.

I have a client who has a school located in a flex warehouse building. The building itself is 190,500 sf. The school takes up approximately 38,500 sf of this building. There are two other tenants in this building, separated from the school by a 3hr rated wall. First, I am a bit confused, as I'm not entirely sure how a school was allowed in this building in the first place. The footprint is larger than 10% to qualify as an accessory use. I assume this building was originally permitted as an unlimited area building in the 1970's, but looking at the code for unlimited area buildings now, it would include B, F,S, & M. Use E is covered in a separate section of the code, but is limited to a single story for unlimited. I don't see anywhere that a use E is allowed in the mixed use B,F, S, &M. Please educate me if I am missing something. Anyways, so assuming I am missing something, and an E use group is allowed along with B,F,S, and M, the school has a bay and a half of the building that is separated from the rest of the school by a 3 hour wall as well, totaling 7300 sf. They would like to build a second level above this entire area or classrooms. Could I look at this as an enclosed mezzanine situation? There would be two rated stair enclosures and an elevator for egress. https://merrittcompanies-my.sharepo...BJt3p0GcnEzY0BsUZm3x-8PunvggRJg2myIw?e=nrWGyD
is it adult education over 12th grade ? then it is a B occupancy