• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Effective Code

Keystone

SAWHORSE
Florida, if a code violation occurs during a time period of previous code edition with county photographic date stamped evidence but is observed & cited during an updated code cycle - which code should the violation be cited under?

Some jurisdictions require the property be brought up to current developmental standards, if touched.

Some allow it to be brought up to developmental standards in place at the time of construction.

Is it a life safety Issue? It is a judgement call.

I agree with Mark, could someone get hurt, or die? If not I tend to lean on the "move on". Now if this is un-permitted work, finally uncovered? Then we strive to get it to the closest compliance level feasible, with life-safety requirements as required.

Aerial photographs demonstrating re-roof via color change. Friend purchased home 4.5yrs ago, friend receives notice of violation for re-roof, requesting evidence county supplies aerial phtographs that show re-roof in 2008 and two owners prior.

The codes have not changed that much on roofing over the last few code cycles.

Show the BO that it was installed per manufacturers instructions, pay the permit fee and call it a day

Not something to lose brain cells over

mark handler said:
The codes have not changed that much on roofing over the last few code cycles. Show the BO that it was installed per manufacturers instructions, pay the permit fee and call it a day

Not something to lose brain cells over
Sometimes it is not that easy depending on the type of roof and the wind-zone it is located in. Some houses, for example, are in a 170mph wind zone and a roof replacement, such as tile required 3 different inspections starting with the sheathing, dry in and flashing, followed by final.

jar546 said:
Sometimes it is not that easy depending on the type of roof and the wind-zone it is located in. Some houses, for example, are in a 170mph wind zone and a roof replacement, such as tile required 3 different inspections starting with the sheathing, dry in and flashing, followed by final.
Manufacturers do have instructions for high wind and high slope conditions.

mark handler said:
It is a judgment call.

One option could be, if AHJ agrees, to have a manufacturer's certified installer (licensed) "certify that the roof was installed per manufacturer's installation instructions and guidelines"

mark handler said:
One option could be, if AHJ agrees, to have a manufacturer's certified installer (licensed) "certify that the roof was installed per manufacturer's installation instructions and guidelines"
Agree. Plus fine of course.

Keystone said:
Aerial photographs demonstrating re-roof via color change. Friend purchased home 4.5yrs ago, friend receives notice of violation for re-roof, requesting evidence county supplies aerial phtographs that show re-roof in 2008 and two owners prior.
so what does the county want them to do???

I am thinking fight this, are they checking every house ??????

Keystone said:
Ride it out. The dummy that started this will get his hands slapped and it will blow over.

Central Florida so wind zone thankfully not 170mph, shingle roof, county requiring engineer only and permit or complete re-roof. As Jar pointed out, sheathing, dry-in, final.

Ride it out doesn't appear to be an option, the code official has a long term track record of compliance... Complaint was made, anonymous of course. Neighbor hood took a hit when the economy went down hill, neighborhood is now coming back and from my understanding the community hired a deed enforcement official who is going around block to block. Next door neighbors replacing there roof, whole bunch of action throughout community.

Realize roof section of code has not changed much, intent was to view all available options. Complete re-roof in Florida is not a drop in the bucket.

Manufactures install rep viable option.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally for a relatively minor infraction like this from a anonymous source I would feel that ignoring it would be extremely valid especially considering the 2 orders prior part of the equation. If someone has enough guts to step forward and state why they have a problem with it it deserves more consideration but an anonymous complaint based on an aerial photograph?? Besides that with today's technology it would be extremely easy to doctor the photograph to show whatever date you wanted it to show. Even if it was a film based picture it could be scanned, doctored and then reprinted.

jar546 said:
Agree. Plus fine of course.
Why should the present owner be fined for something the previous owner did?

the code official has a long term track record of compliance...
With those who coward down or those who pushed back and run through the process

Personally the reroof is already 6 years old so that alone should give some testimony as to the installation. Has it been through any hurricane in the past six years.

Personally I would not be messing with it complaint or not if it was done in 2008

re-roof

2006IRC in our area required complete tear off!

2012IRC now allows for two roofs!

There is a reason to verify what code to enforce.

$$

Amal photo from a drone I suspect

re-roof

2006IRC in our area required complete tear off!

2012IRC now allows for two roofs!

There is a reason to verify what code to enforce.

$$

Photo from a drone I suspect

Would you really revert back to a more restrictive code, when newer requirements would allow it?

Last Friday a roofing contractor came to the counter with a problem. A general contractor tried to pull a permit for an addition but was turned away because there is an expired permit for a re-roof from 2005.

The roofer told me that the general contractor was rude when he called to demand that the roofer clear up the expired permit. I know the GC. He is rude to me too.

The roofer and I went there and the roof is fine. But there are no smoke or co detectors. I told him to tell the GC that I will final the re-roof permit when there are detectors. Now the GC is gonna complain that the detectors are not his responsibility. If he thinks about it, he may understand that his addition will trigger the detector requirement anyway. That'll make him complain all the louder.

Last edited by a moderator: