• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress for sprinkled SFR

Bootleg

Silver Member
Two story with basement building fully fire sprinkled.

2nd floor SFR over commercial on street level and commercial in the basement.

Because the building is fully sprinkled is the bedroom exempt from an egress window or door to the outside?

It depends if the "SFR" is classified as an R-2 or R-3. 1026.1 exempts R-2's when fully sprinklered but does not exempt R-3.

It appears to me that the IRC and the IBC for Group R-3 occupancies require escape windows regardless of sprinkler protection.

I agree with Coug Dad although it does not make sense that once you have two dwelling units it becomes an apartment and then escape windows in a sprinklered building are no longer required.

I agree if a NFPA 13 or NFPA 13-R sprinkler system is installed as required for R-2. It could be hard to justify eliminating the windows if a SFR sprinkler system is installed.

Sounds like it could be a Live/Work unit if under the 2009 IBC. Then it would be R2, not R3 (must meet other requirements, of course).

residential over commercial would not be R-3
It is a single dwelling unit on the second floor what would it be?

R-1 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units where the occupants are primarily transient in nature, including:

R-2 Residential occupancies containing sleeping units or more than two dwelling units where the occupants are primarily permanent in nature,

R-3 Residential occupancies where the occupants are primarily permanent in nature and not classified as Group R-1, R-2, R-4 or I, including:

Buildings that do not contain more than two dwelling units.

R-4 Residential occupancies shall include buildings arranged for occupancy as residential care/assisted living facilities including more than five but not more than 16 occupants, excluding staff.

It does not make sense that a full 13 or 13R sytem in a single dwelling unit would have to have emergency escape windows but multiple dwelling units in the same building would not.

I could understand requiring EEW with a 13D system but not in the OP scenario.

mtlogcabin said: residential over commercial would not be R-3

If not, occupancy type R-3.

Then what?

The building is mixed use, The residential unit is R3 occupancy, the business units are . . whatever they are, maybe one is retiail occupancy and one is office, , , or high hazard storage : )

Repeat my prior post... is it 2009 IBC? Then why not Live/Work which equals R2? No mixed use, the whole enchilada is R2! Of course, there are area limitations, etc.

vegas paul said:
Repeat my prior post... is it 2009 IBC? Then why not Live/Work which equals R2? No mixed use, the whole enchilada is R2! Of course, there are area limitations, etc.
the work part of the unit has to be occupied by the live uniit tenant, if the ground floor and second floor met all of the live/work unit criteria, I suppose then one would still need to seperate the basement commercial use and/or sprinkler between the work part of the live/work unit. In other words, it would still be a mixed use.

Peach,

What occupancy would the mixed use be?

Vegas paul,

This is under the 2006 IBC.

let's assume R-3.. Sec 1026 still requires the egress windows if less than 4 stories.