• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Egress from a deep window well

1hamish

The situation is this. Basement "bonus" room, 9 ft. ceiling. Client wants to put in egress window to make it a legal bedroom. The interior I've worked out but the exterior window well, as a result of outside terrain would be about 50" deep. Is there a code section that speaks to egress height from the window well itself?

gbhammer said:
2009 IRC 310.2 Window wells & 310.2.1 Ladders and steps
Just don't install a set of spiral steps or a spiral ladder.

;) (really, I couldn't help myself).

Seriously, though, I don't believe the steps need to comply with the MOE section for stairs.

E&E Metal Fab in Harrisburg, PA made some for my dad that are a little less than 60" deep out of stainless steel with ladder rungs built in and a push/pull up grate for the top to keep people from falling in. he said they were around 600 apiece. kinda pricey but they are definatly the only ones i have seen

1hamish said:
The situation is this. Basement "bonus" room, 9 ft. ceiling. Client wants to put in egress window to make it a legal bedroom. The interior I've worked out but the exterior window well, as a result of outside terrain would be about 50" deep. Is there a code section that speaks to egress height from the window well itself?
since no one else has manners on this forum welcom welcome welcome

how did you find us??

I have been here since the ICC forum changed, just kinda lurking in the shadows but thanks for the welcome. I was referred over here by codejaye (my dad), he is one of the few master code professionals in the state of pa

Yes welcome to the forum 1Hamish.

twistr2002 I have seen you're post from time to time, been jumping in more lately you should keep it up.

I had a manor once, but I lost it in the real estate collapse a couple of years back. Welcome 1 Hamish.

I had a manor once, but I lost it in the real estate collapse a couple of years back. Welcome 1 Hamish. Oh by the way, I agree with the requirement for a ladder. Try not to spiral out of control like Papio.

Sorry Papio - the code dosen't cover non-requirements. That would be a really big book.

Big Mac said:
Sorry Papio - the code dosen't cover non-requirements. That would be a really big book.
The ICC likes really big books so don't be suprised when it gets piblished.